1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

upgrading power and ground for an E60

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by mwalsh9152, Dec 25, 2010.

1. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

recently since the weather has dropped I have noticed that my plow has suddenly started moving slowly. Its tolerable side to side, but painfully slow going up. I checked all my connections, and they were good, my batteries are 2 almost new Odyssey group 65's and I believe my new alternator is a 230 amp, so Im positive that wasnt my problem.

I read that the 8awg wire that Meyer supplies is anemic for the application, so I piggybacked the 8awg from the first battery with a 2awg from the other battery as that is the smallest gauge wire I stock. When I hooked up the battery I instantly noticed a difference, still a bit sluggish, but 100x's better than it was.

I'm wondering if I should bother upgrading the power wires out to the plow as well. I could just disconnect the stock 8awg, and run 2awg power and negative out via an Anderson 175 amp connector like this.

[​IMG]

It wont cost me anything, Im just wondering if it will be worth my time to do it?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to all!

2. zzamud

zzamud Member

Where can u get those cheaply? I use those on my winch set up and going to use 4g wire and those on my plow. I also made a set of jumper cables with that on on end so i dont even have to pop the hood to start a dead car. I have 175 amps and cost me 50 a set a think

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Upgrade the plow side too and while you're at it add a Trombetta solenoid to the truck side as well Marc. You already have an excellent electrical set up there you just need those two things to make it an outstanding system. :nod:

However, if you find it's still running slow or pulling too many amps then it's probably time for a fresh motor also.

4. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

Thanks Mike, should I use the Anderson connector for the power? Like ZZA said, Im going to be putting the truck side on already for jumper cables anyway. Also, can you give me a link to the Trombetta Solenoid?

And now that you mention it, I never noticed if it was doing this before, but it is definitely whacking the volt meter pretty hard when I move the blade.

ZZA, I work with industrial forklift batteries at work, so I have boxes of all different color connectors, and the wire is good junk wire that I pull out of customers sites

5. wva

wva Member

$10 a side at Pierce sales .com they are 4ga wire

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Definitely use the Anderson's for your connections. They'll last nearly forever and make high resistance due to poor quick connections a thing of the past.

The solenoids can be gotten here.

7. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

Thanks Mike, I'll definitely pick up one of those solenoids, a lot cheaper than I figured it was going to be too!

I'll probably do the wiring upgrade today if I can find the time before this blizzard hits. Any excuse to get away from the post holiday toy chaos

8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Anderson connectors can be bought at any Napa.