1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Upgrading Plows ? Feedback needed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BillyRgn, Mar 7, 2011.

1. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

So here is a little back round on the situation, the two trucks I am looking to upgrade the plows on are: a 2002 f-350 diesel dump 50,000 miles with a 9 ft meyer C-9 E-60 pump classic mount with night saber lights; the other is a GMC Sierra 2500 6.0 gas reg cab 90,000 miles with a meyer C-8 E-60H MDII mount and night saber's as well. Both plows were bought new with the trucks. The plows are in good shape and maintained but are starting to act there age. This year trying to get parts was terrible. The dealer I used to use that was right down the street went under a couple years ago. The dealer I use currently has not done new meyers in a couple years and seems to be stocking fewer and fewer parts which were always genuine meyer but this year it has been all aftermarket when I finally get the parts. I have had it ! My other truck has a fisher and that dealer is 2 minutes away and I have never had any trouble getting parts. I was thinking of selling or trading in the two meyers and buying two new fishers, most likely stainless steel and probably an 8 1/2 V for the p-up and a 9 ft xblade or a 9 1/2 V for the dump. So my questions are what is your recommendation for getting rid of the meyers, the dealer does not do trade ins, used plow dealer? Bargain news?. Has anyone ever upgraded before and recommend doing it again? Any feed back and/or experiences would be greatly appreciated. FYI- if I buy a plow it is gonna be a fisher that I am 100% sure, there is just not another dealer close enough that I want to deal with or that has parts readily available. The other option I'm pondering is buying a plow online and installing it my self or possibly going out of state for a fisher if it's really cost effective. Thanks Billy

2. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

One last thing, what do you guys recommend for being the best time of the year for selling and buying?

3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I sold my 7.5 poly meyer and 8.5 poly meyer this past fall and upgraded to the Fisher XLS and Fisher 8.5 Extreme V plow. First off I would get the xls for the dump truck and the 8.5 for the 2500hd. I parted out the 7.5 which was 7 years old and made $3000 on that plow sale and I sold the 8.5 which was 8years for $3300 for the complete setup. The best time to sell your two plows is end of September/beginning of October. I placed them on Craigslist and sold them in a week. I cleaned up the plows with a quick paint job on the frames and the cutting edge. Since the blades were poly they looked in great shape, plus they were stored inside so they had no sun fade. Your market will be guys that have always ran meyers and are looking for parts or they just are used to fixing them and are able to switch the plows between there other trucks or guys that are just getting into the business and all they know or heard of is Meyer plows and that is what they want. They can get the plow for half the price of new and that is a great selling point. Also when they call you should always tell them a few other people are interested. This allows you to get your asking more then likely as it creates a sense of urgency for your buyer. But timing is everything and good pictures put into the ad on craigslist is what is going to sell the plows. I sold the 8.5 to a guy 2 hours away and he was going off the pictures and I got full asking price. Good Luck and I hope this helped.

4. Burkartsplow

Oh yeah the best time to buy a new plow is in late january, February and March as the dealer wants to thin out its inventory since the season is almost over. My new plows I bought in late October early November were $500 to $600 cheaper in January/February. I also bought my plows online from 4qte.com and saved over $2000 per plow over the local dealer on price, not having to pay tax on the plow and also installing it myself. So by buying online I saved over $4000 on my 2 new plows. The local dealer did not want to match the online price. Plus you still get the 2 year warranty even if you install the plow.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  5. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

How was it installing the plows? I am pretty capable but wonder if it is to much ? Is there a lot of spliceing required? The only thing I am worried about buying on line is dealer support and them replacing problems under warranty with me installing and the product not coming from them, have you run into any trouble yet?

6. Burkartsplow

It took me a little over a day to put the 8.5 exv together and another day to put the xls together. On the Chevy everything was plug and play except having to splice 2 wires into the headlights which was very easy. I know the ins and outs of the plow since I put it together and also all the wiring is exactly where I wanted it under the hood. If I had any problems I called up Dan at 4qte.com and he would get me any part I needed. My drivers side intensifier light got condensation inside and blew the bulb. I called him up and he sent me a new intensifier light full assembly 3 days later. But you can go to the local dealer and he has to honor your warranty since he is an authorized Fisher Dealer. Just read the installation instructions from front to back and take your time. The light going bad is the only thing that has gone wrong on the plows this season. Why pay someone $400 to $500 to install a plow that comes half put together already.