1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

upgrading plow- upgrade price?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by mcfly89, Nov 9, 2011.

1. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

Ive been plowing for nearly 10 years now and am comfortable with my rates. I started out on an atv and graduated to a truck, then a newer truck, and so on. My past rigs have been 7.5 plows, but this year I'm upgrading to a new lot pro 8.5 with wings. thats 11 feet of plow!! Some of my military customers require that I charge per hour which has always worked out well in the past, but with the much faster plow, Im trying to figure out how to refigure my hourly rate to come up with a similar overall price. any suggestions?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Put a smaller plow on.
  3. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I do not think you will be able to increase your hourly rates based on buying a more efficient plow. In reality the customer doesnt care what you plow it with. The more efficient plow will allow you to plow your lots faster. Thus opening up more room on your route and allowing you to take on more customers. This in turn allowing you to make more money per hour, over a course of a storm.
  4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Agree with what Born2Farm said.
    Since you should be more efficient, see if you can't pick up another local account.
  5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

My thinking was what the 2 guys above me said...

Why not just add more lots since you're more efficient now? For the hourly stuff, just take the wings off...
  6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

This is why I refuse to do hourly.. you get penalized for running a efficient operation... explain to your customers your switching your rates to per push accounts.... just figure out past amounts (with your hourly rate)per customer and switch that figure over to per push..... the customers will pay the same "rate" or "amount" but you'll get done alot sooner... better yet have them go seasonal!

Good Luck
  7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Mine are all per push or contract so upgrading to a more efficient plow was very beneficial to me dropping my plow time allowing me to make more money.
  8. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

Im already overloaded on accounts and was hoping for a little more pillow time, lol. We don't get that many snows per year but when we do, I don't sleep for 3 or 4 days.
  9. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

I always finish my lots first and then roll in with another guy as a sub doing larger lots etc where my new truck will really shine. I dont want to sub for the same per hour amount as the guy with the 80s model ford and 7.5' plow.
  10. wnwniner

wnwniner Member

If your acting as a sub and charging an hourly rate, I understand why you want to charge more. Since your plow went from 7.5' to 11', your now about 45% more efficient (plow size increased by 46%). Maybe you can get a 30% increase in your rate, since your going to be able to take about 30% per pass?
  11. bdryer

bdryer Senior Member

I agree with you Burkartsplow;
    Found it much easier and beneficial for all involved to quote per push. If we get a lot of snow, then I make out, but if the opposite happens, then my customers save a little cash. Win/win. Just sayin'............