1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

upgrading older chevy charging systems???

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by GSS LLC, Dec 11, 2013.

1. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

i have a few old chevys i plow with. 2 big batteries, the higher amp alternator. all new. and after a few hours they still start to get dim headlights and other low voltage issues.

anything besides the big batteries and high amp alternator a guy can do besides getting a custom aftermarket alternator? (i want to stick with an off the shelf unit for availability)
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Define big batts, and what's the high amp alt?
  3. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Have you done the Big 3 upgrade?
  4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Smaller pulley on the alternator. check you amp output at idle. you may need to go to a BIG aftermarket alternator to get high amps at low rpms. I use aftermarket alternators that are sold for "kids" to run there ear drum rupturing radios. It is sold as a 200 amp puts out 210 ish. But will do 186 at idle. I could just put the stock back on in a pinch.
  5. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Measure voltages at different locations: Should be the same measuring positive to negative on both batteries, positive to engine ground, and alternator output to engine ground. Run a decent electrical load, and make sure that the voltages remain consistent under load as well.

I think you may find that the wire between the batteries, or the wire between alternator and batteries is too small, allowing for voltage drop and insufficient power under load.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you play with the plow to much.Don't raise the plow until you start to back up.
  7. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

sounds like i need seasonals in southern florida. solve all my problems. ill have to tear into this over the weekend. thanks for the different opinions on directions to go. nice to have peoples opinions, sometimes you get something you would have forgotten to look at.

any more ideas?
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Score yourself a Volt battery,that should work!
  9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

My 07 duramax came with a plow prep with dual alternators and batteries. I run v blade,electric salter, back blade, and extra caution and beacon lights. Radio, charger for the cell without ever having a dim light. I bought new batteries last summer for the first time. 300,000km , haven't touched either alternator.
  10. WILLD420

WILLD420 Junior Member

Run a battery cable sized cable from the alternator to the battery. Make sure your main cables and wiring are as big as you can afford to put on there. You don't want to lose amps to heat, when you are running out of juice.

Can you rig up a fast idle switch so you can idle up when you are sitting? When I am assessing a spot to see how I can plow it, I idle up to around 1800 rpm to pump some juice into the batteries.
  11. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

heavier cables and possibly dual batteries
  12. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

He said he's running dual batteries already
  13. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

yes he did. my mistake. is the alternator big enough to maintain both batteries while running the system?