1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Upgrading my old plow to electronic controls

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rogerfries, Mar 7, 2005.

1. rogerfries

rogerfries Junior Member

I've got a old, but great condition 82 Ford F-250 with a 460. A few years ago I put a swap meet plow on it, but I've always hated mechanical controls. I've got a 8' Fisher plow on it.

Here's the deal, I'm getting a new Fisher Insta-Act pump. I want to use a Meyer Slick Stick Control. I'm trying to figure how to wire this thing. According to the documentation for the pump the control harness is only 3 wires with no indication as to what they control. I don't understand how this can be done with only 3 wires. I would think you would need 4 signal wires (Up, Down, left, Right) aside from battery + & Ground.
    Does anybody know what the pin-outs are for this pump?
  2. rogerfries

rogerfries Junior Member

I think I just figured it out. Perhaps someone can confirm this.
    when the plow is held up, the UP solenoid is energized, but pump is not running. That would be the 3 wires (Left, Right, Up). That would mean that this is consuming power all the time as you are driving around town? How much amp draw for a solenoid?
  3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Go to the Meyer web site and the Fisher site... they should have wiring diagrams. I have a feeling that this might be a bit more work than you anticipated because I think the Meyer system works differently than a fisher system.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I will take underhood hydraulics any day of the week
  5. ght1098

ght1098 Member

You can not do this, Fisher uses 2 solinoids for a particular function, Meyer will use only 1, you will have to get a Fisher or western control. ( I thought about putting the Western "Cab Command" on my meyer, won't work, Western and Fisher operate 2 solinoids to do the same thing Meyer does with 1). Good luck, hope this helps.
  6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Yeah, I'll take under hood hydraulics any day too. Best way, if you really want to do this, is look at a truck that has an elec control and figure out what parts you need- use all fisher parts so you don't need to scrounge for parts when something breaks, and try used plow parts dealers.
  7. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

The meyer lift works this way. The A-coil is not energized when you are not lifting or lowering it. A-coil and valve energizes/opens the valve when lowering the blade, and same thing with the motor running to lift the blade.

B and C coils are for blade turn.
  8. rogerfries

rogerfries Junior Member

Thanks TA3834BBL!
    That makes perfect sense. That's probably how the Fisher operates also.

I'm curious why a few of you guys prefer the old style.
    Is it because of the huge electrical drain on the system? I already have that as my current plow uses a electric pump, but mechanical controls.
    Or is it that you like the mechanical controls?
  9. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

An Insta-act doesnt work like a meyer and a meyer control will not work. The insta act uses the S1 for lower, the S2 for angle right, the S2 and S3 for angle left and the S3 for raise.
  10. rogerfries

rogerfries Junior Member

Thanks Crash935!! I'll figure something out for the controls. That's a pretty funky setup, the Meyer setup seems more logical, but no one but me would care.

How about opinions on best type/placement for controls?
  11. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

I realize that you have the electric/hydraulic underhood setup, but the reason most people prefer under-hood/belt driven hydraulics over current models is that it eliminates the three areas in which you're most likely to have failures: solenoids, switches, and electrical connections.

The problem is that Fisher no longer makes belt-driven hydraulic systems for new trucks (Meyer and Western never really did) -- so your stuck with electric over hydraulic if you have a late model rig. But in your case (and mine) you have a truck that CAN be fitted with a belt-driven pump -- my advice to you is to take advantage of that fact. Instead of fooling around with this electrical conversion, find or make a mounting bracket to run a Fisher pump off your engine. You'll have the most reliable system available.

12. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

The problem is that Fisher no longer makes belt-driven hydraulic systems for new trucks (Meyer and Western never really did) --

My 79 Ramcharger/snowcommander was originally optioned with a hydrauic plow with thru dash mechanical valving that were operated with push/pull rods running through the dash and firewall to a valve mounted on the drivers side fenderwell next to a fluid resevoir that was plumbed to a pump resembling a power steering pump without a filler neck.
    I thought that was a meyer setup. Wasn't it?

I still have the engine bracket, resevoir, valves and control rods in the garage. Anyone need them?
  13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Bingo! Plugs to keep clean, solinoids to replace, etc. I would convert my MM1 to an underhood if there was any room to mount a pump on my CTD (and try finding a pump that performes well at under 2000rpm)
  14. rogerfries

rogerfries Junior Member

Against the advise of some of you, I finished my electronic control conversion. While some good points where made about the reliability of mechanical controls, For me the ease of use of the electronic controls won out.

It came out Awesome! I love it! Of course that means that there won't be any more snow storms this year, sorry!

I was able to use the Meyer Slick Stick with the Fisher Insta-Act, but I had to add a Relay on the Angle Left to trip pin 3,4 and the relay at the same time yet keep them isolated from each other. Perhaps I'll post some pictures later if anyone's interested.

Reliability of course, time will tell. Have there been many problems with the Fisher Insta-Act Pumps? I noticed that the 3 solenoids are all different, so you can't just buy 1 spare just in case. Are there any parts that I should keep in stock?
  15. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

Hey, good job! The meyer solonoids are different also, A is diff from B and C is diff again. Good luck with reliability.
  16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Congrats- no matter what any of us say, if you're happy that's all that matters!

Spare parts- I would suggest 1 ea of the relays. Truith be told I have had only 1 relay fail on me, but they always go during a storm when you can't get one, and a spare hose that is long enought to replace any of the ones on your system along with your normal emergency repair kit of pins and cotters.
    I wouldn't add the relays to your in truck kit- at home base is better than not having one.