1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Upgrading hydraulic pump?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by cmo18, Jan 22, 2009.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I was at a buddies tonight and I was explaining how my 14 year old pump is getting worn out. I asked about rebuilding pumps and he suggested upgrading to a bigger pump off a tractor or some other pieces of equipment. My question is has any one ever done it and if so what is the max psi can a normal fisher minute mount system can take? Also what pump should I look for?

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

what kind of pump. engine driven clutch pump? pto?

3. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

engine driven hydraulic pump...

4. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

I don't have specs on Fisher pumps but most of the Meyer electric units are around 1650-2000psi. I think what you really want is to increase the pump volume a little bit not the pump pressure. Higher volume at the same pressure will make the plow move quicker.

5. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

those old engine driven pumps had downfalls but man they would work no matter how weak or how leaky they got. every so often i still see brand new ones on ebay. i know some of the local town trucks still use them as well. if you decide to get another one of them or have yours rebuilt you can get a smaller pulley for it that will make it spin faster thus it will work faster. another option would be going to an electric pump. in my case we switched to a cable operated western but that old fisher sits in the shed just in case. we'll never get rid of that sucker. good luck with it :)

6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I pressure tested my pump and at idle it sits around 950psi. At 1400-1500 rpms its at 1500psi which is the amount it should be at idle. Its the most simple pump and if I could find another pump that would push a bit more I could fab it to work. I'm just wondering what all my valves are rated for? If I got a pump that put out 2000psi for example, could my valve hold that much pressure?

7. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

There must be a pressure relief in the system someplace?

Anyway, here's a pump... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/fisher-snow-plow-hydraulic-pump-real-nice-works-well_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem370147472596QQitemZ370147472596QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I think I read somewhere the specs on a plow pump, not sure which brand, that it was maybe 1.25 gpm. I think you want to keep the pressure below 2500psi, preferably closer to 2000psi.

8. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

my pump and reservoir are separate. Maybe it would just be better to rebuild my pump rather than upgrade...doesnt seem like anyone here has put a bigger pump on