1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

upgrading equipment

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mcgruff, Feb 14, 2010.

1. mcgruff

mcgruff Junior Member

Hi All,
    I currently do 30 residential with an F150 and an old meyers plow.

I am thinking of upgrading my truck and going to an F250 or possible a dodge with a cummins engine as I plan on trying for some commercials next year.

Is a dielse engine worth it for that or not?
    Also what size plow can i put on either an F250 or 2500 dodge diesel?
    I am leaning towards western plows after what i read on here.

thanks

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Lot's of great topics there. Try a search. You will find SOOOOOO much info on those very things. Welcome.

3. mcgruff

mcgruff Junior Member

will do, i forgot about the search button.

thanks

4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

If you can afford it go with a diesel. I will never buy another gas truck.

5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

After just picking up my 95 chevy 2500 with a 6.5 turbo diesel engine, I will be looking for more good deals on diesels. I have only plowed one time with it, but I averaged almost 20 miles per gallon, compared to about 8 or so with any of my other trucks plowing. Plus it has power to spare if I need it.

6. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

I would go with the diesel every time, but do your research on these trucks each has their own issues.
    make sure you check dealer service or a good diesel mechanic in your area. if you have any questions just PM me.

7. green frog

green frog Senior Member

If your staying with residentials I would say go with a jeep. I plow with a f250 standard cab long bed and the jeep is as fast on driveways even with 1 foot short plow and gets way better gas mileage. If I didn't have commercials I would use my jeep all the time.

8. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

Diesel all the way.

9. nymustang50

nymustang50 Senior Member

Like noted above each diesel has its weaknesses but its worth it in the end also if your going to be doing residential and commercial id looking for a 8ft straight its like the smallest for a 2500-250 truck yet nice for doing driveways that are skinny..

10. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

Go with the diesel it's always better to have too much than not enough.

11. Bryansong

Bryansong Member

Diesel would be nice but I have gotten to where I can't hardly stand the smell.

Bryansong

12. mcgruff

mcgruff Junior Member

Thanks so much for the responses. I do lawn care in the summer so the truck would be used for plowing and lawns.

A jeep would be nice but not feasable.

Thanks for the help. wesport

13. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Diesel is the way to go, once you have a diesel, you won't go back.

14. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

Personally I think it depends on how much snow your average year brings you. If it is more than 6 inches or so I would definatly go with the deisel but if its less than that go with gas. (my personal opinion)

15. jkretzer

jkretzer Junior Member

go with the diesel, you will never look back. i have plowed with both and any diesel wins hands down. the extra weight will help you and the added torque is a +. most of the time i just idle along and nothing stops my truck.

16. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Famous last words! :rolleyes:

17. jkretzer

jkretzer Junior Member

nothing outside of plowing with common sense has stopped the truck yet. you have to use your head when facing the wrath of mother nature. i carrying 1000 lbs of salt and sand in the bed and run aggressive snow tires. Another point ot consider is fuel economy, in one weekend a guy i work with used 3 full tanks of gas in his f350 with a 460 gas engine, in the same weekend i went through 3/4's of a tank of diesel.

18. SMLCAT

SMLCAT Member

If you go with a diesel try to find one with the upgraded plow suspension i.e higher rated springs..

19. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Thing to remember is that a diesel engine weighs more. If I recall correctly, most plows will put a 3/4 ton diesel over the front axle weight rating. Might be worth picking up a 1 ton, not only for truck longevity, but also in case you ever get weighed by DOT.

20. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

WOW you would be blown away if you think that has power if you got in a Cummins or a Powerstroke