1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

upgrading brakes?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by monson770, Sep 23, 2013.

1. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

has anyone used cross-drilled/slotted rotors on their trucks?
    i am having what seems to be heat issues with my brakes over the long term, and was thinking about trying out some cross-drilled rotors to help with heat dissipation. seems like my rotors warp a little, and that my slide pins become dry before the "normal" service interval..

any help, shared experience would be appreciated.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

what are you doing with the tk that could be causing the heat?
    what are you lubing the pins with?
  3. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

I just had my friend install powerstop rotors and extreme duty towing pads on my 03 2500hd duramax( front and rear). These brakes stop a lot better then oe. My trailer is 7000lb empty and I was able to turn down the brake controller slightly. I don't know how they are going to hold up this winter with rust. Although, my str8 charger has those fancy rotors as well, and I've had no issues at all.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  4. Murphy4570

Murphy4570 Member

Don't ever run drilled rotors, they will crack at the holes. Slotted is OK for street performance stuff like a Mustang or something.

For big trucks, just get the thickest regular rotors you can find. Or upgrade to bigger brakes, but that costs a lot of money.
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

My never cracked at all. And I was towing a trail weighing 7700lbs
  6. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I agree for street cars there ok my kids jeep had them on there when we bought it the guy said they were about a year old the shook the truck very bad I would not use them on a plow truck I use bendix sever duty
  7. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I run the best plain rotors I can get and EBC green stuff brake pads.
  8. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

How long do they last
  9. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

About the same as stock or a little less. Pretty hard to get more friction and longer life.
  10. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

Ran power slot rotors on my F-250 for 50k no problems.....