1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

upgrading alternator, what wires?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by pfbrussels, Nov 1, 2011.

1. pfbrussels

pfbrussels Junior Member

I have a '03 gmc 1500 with a 5.3 that I am updating the alternator on. I'm not really a fan of universal kits, does anybody know where i can order quality pre-made 1/0 cables? I'm pressed for time and I don't want to wait 3-4 weeks for custom cable to be made.

thanks.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Find a local car audio shop, they should be able to make what ever you need. Some auto may have some cables you will just need to know what length you need.

3. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Just hit up Napa, get the cable and some terminal ends, just did this 2 days ago to a buddys truck, for like 11 bucks.

4. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

You can also hit up lowes, menards. Pick up some exterior power cable. They have it in strand or solid. Its cheap, will hold up and last.

5. elitesnow3680

elitesnow3680 Junior Member

I have been installing high end, high wattage sudio systems for 14 years.. and my personal opinon, I would use nothing but 1/0 gauge wires for ur application for the simple fact u will b using plow, so with the much larger wire comes much better and cleaner current flow, and also with the larger ground wire, U should c a diff in performance, start up, and possibly even fuel eco. as time goes on!! Good luck with the install!