1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Upgraded alternator

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by t-sig, Feb 9, 2010.

1. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

I have a 2000 Chevy 1500 with a 5.3 and no plow prep. I have added dual batteries and timbrens to operate and carry my Snoway 24D. I got the idea in my head to change the alt. from the stock 105 amp to a 130. I got one out of the local junk yard,(with cash for clunkers there are a ton of good parts) $70 bucks and a life time warranty. It looked more/less the same. It bolted in easy and the wire connector plugged in. Then I tried to put the surpentine belt back on. No go. It was so close, but would not fit. I called our local NAPA and they checked the belt for a 105 amp and a 130 amp. They are different. The pulley on the 130 is an 1/8" bigger. So, I asked him how much longer the new belt is. It is a wopping 3/4" longer, pretty small difference considering the belt is 8 feet long. I went and got it and it fits right, works good and I do notice less light dimming.

Long story short, if you upgrade you alt, check the belt sizes, you will likely need to change that out as well.

Tony

2. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Did you have to change the bracket for the alternator to fit

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No bracket changes are needed, just the longer belt. But a charge wire upgrade is a wise idea while you're in there.