1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Upgrade Trosion Bars Vs. Timbrens on 1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GripTruk, Dec 20, 2005.

1. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I have another post about the torsion bars going, but I'd like to hear from people who have done both or have a good reason they prefer one over the other.

I was planning to upgrade the Torsion bars to ones from a 2500 (not sure which) to handle the extra load. I am not looking for any increase in height, I do not want to lift my truck, I just don't want it to sag when I have the plow on.

I was pretty set on going the Torsion bar route but I when I called my spring shop (they previously helped me upgrade a ford e150 van to a 350)to look into getting some new bars they strongly recommended I go with Timbrens instead of messing around with the bars.

1997 Tahoe 1500 (95,000 miles)
    it will have a Sno-Way 7.5 on it.

any opinions???

-Jer

2. DMR95

DMR95 Junior Member

I would go with the timbrens. I just put a set of them on my 95 1500 and they're great. I've got a meyer st-7.5 on it and with the timbrens it doesn't sag down much at all with the plow on. They are also really easy to install.

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Have you tried turning up the bars yet? Most times that is all you will need. If that is not enough I would put Timbrens on. You should be able to find them for 150.00 and you can put them on yourself in less than an hour....

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Allright, this sounds really dumb, but how do you turn up the torsion bars?:confused:

5. 2004Z71CC

2004Z71CC Member

I run a1500 crew cab with an 8' western pro. The T-bars have 4 turns and I installed timbrens, the truck barely drops with the plow on.

6. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Locate torsion bar as it leaves lower A-arm. Follow torsion bar to other end where it goes through frame cross member. Locate large bolt protruding from canter of cross member next to torsion bar. This is the adjusting bolt. Mark bolt as to tell when a rotation is completed on bolt. Raise front of vehicle so that all weight is off of front suspension. Tighten both left and right adjusting bolts an equal number of turns(I usually do 2 turns at a time at first, then 1 turn). Place vehicle weight back on front suspension and drive. Attach plow to truck and check for sag. Repeat as necessary.

It is important to move truck after sitting it back on tires to settle front end back down...

7. bdavis

bdavis Member

8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

:) Hey Brian! Sent you an email!

9. 98chevy1500

98chevy1500 Junior Member

Same boat

I am getting ready to put a 7.6 western on my 98 1500, I am going to have to see how it holds up. they say that the whole package is about 560lbs.

Anyone have any suggestions before I get rolling ??????

Also the mount that is coming with the plow is off a 96 1500 series suburban, If I am correct they are the same chasis are they not?? I should be able to mount that to my truck.......