1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Upgrade to Electric

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by sport-trac, Nov 3, 2008.

1. sport-trac

sport-trac Junior Member

Hey guys / gals... starting to get more into plowing with the ATV.. I have a 2004.5 Sportsman 500 HO with the 60" Glacier plow system on it.

I use the Warn 2.5 Winch and just ordered the manual angle thing from the dealer :)

Recently installed 2 55w fog /driving lights, ran power direct to battery and mounted switch next to Pod light.

Question is: am i going to kill my battery with the fog lights on?

I am also thinking about adding a "back-up" light and once the enclosure is done a 12v heater for it :) ya..wimp i know.

Any ideas are appreciated.

2. sport-trac

sport-trac Junior Member

just read my own post... is there something I can do: IE: add a battery, to make sure that I dont die while out braving the elements ?
  3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Why do you need so many lights? I use my lights that came stock on my ATV and they work great. If you want to add electrical stuff get some hand warmers.
  4. sport-trac

sport-trac Junior Member

those are one of the items that I am thinking about as well... still concerned about the power draw.
  5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

simply read abouthe amps that your lights or assosrys require... add them up, and make sure they dont over draw your system , them after installin ghtem measure to maek sure your still chaging the battery

might consider a bigger batttery to help even out the power draw with the winch if your close to the max charge rating

also , for refuerance, the wich , and lights should say the amps some were on them , but if they dont

watts = volts x amps so if it says 55 watt light, then 55/12 = 4.58 amps for example