1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Upgrade Plow Lights to LED

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by MSB1766, Aug 9, 2016.

1. MSB1766

MSB1766 Member

I am going to upgrade my plow lights to LED and wonder if anyone has already done it to there plow, if not here is what I am going to get.
    They offer them in 3 different styles:
    4"X6" 5"X7" and 5"7" High Quality
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DEXAOUK/ref=twister_B01DEXAO1E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My plow takes the 4"X6".

Hope this information helps, I will post the outcome of the lights lights when I get them.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Question or two if u don't mind?

What are you trying to accomplish?

Have you thought this through all the way?

3. MSB1766

MSB1766 Member

Better lighting and what do you mean?

4. 1olddogtwo

I'm all for LED, don't get me wrong.

1. LED lights don't produce enough light to melt snow and ice, efficiently that is. Boss is the only one offering LED lights and those have heating elements built into them.

2, are these dot approved? Blinding on coming drivers can be very dangerous for you and them.

3, are they shock rated? A tripping blade will shake apart a poorly designed light

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Per there selling page, says there DOT approved, but someone can't find the DOT on the light.

I'd like to see the before and after AFTER you plow light fluffy snow that completely covers the awindshield.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry Patty and diesel, this argument just doesn't fly.

I've been running LED's for at least 2 1/2 seasons now, possibly 3. I clean them oof less than I did my old halogens\sealed beams. And I think I know why.

The halogens\sealed beams create significantly more heat which causes the snow to melt on contact faster and refreeze as it builds up whilst plowing. The LED's do not build up as mulch heat and do not cause melting and refreezing nearly as fast.

The other thing aboot decent LED's, even when snow does build up on them, they create far more light than halogens and still light up the road better than uncovered halogens.

2 of those 3 seasons were extremely cold for our area. Last year was balmy.

I'll take LED's over halogens every night, all night.

OP, I know they're more expensive, but look into the TruckLite replacement bulbs, they're worth it.

https://www.truck-lite.com/content/news/4x6-led-headlights-released

https://www.amazon.com/Truck-Lite-27450C-Headlamp/dp/B007ED7HNY

7. 1olddogtwo

I said

8. Mark Oomkes

Doesn't need to be efficient because it doesn't happen.

9. 1olddogtwo

So am I to believe the wet sticky snow doesn't stick and pack inside the LED lights or it doesn't collect inside the retaining frame when driving?

I do like the lights you linked. They look to be a higher quality

10. dieselss

11. MSB1766

MSB1766 Member

I have replaced all the incandesent bulbs on my subcompact tractor
    (headlight, side lights, hazzard lights and tail-turn lights) to led's and have had zero problems with vibration and snow build up. Like Mark said the if there is snow build-up the lights are so bright you can not tell there is snow on them. My current plow lights are terrible, I added a one row 10" led light bar to the center of the stock headlights that I only turned on when I was plowing snow never on the road. It made a huge difference.
    So i figured I would get some led headlights.

12. 1olddogtwo

Your not telling me something I don't know. Go look thru some of my videos.

I have plenty of LED, mostly Rigid Industries. Ive had a 20in bar mounted between the headlights, wired to the high beams for a number of years.

My point is, if ur going to do, do it right. Buying some cheap ass, unapproved lights will cost you more in the long run.

I don't know if you looked at the last few seconds of that link I posted, it clearly show my old Rigid Dually2's not packing up with snow, front or rear.

13. Mark Oomkes

Then say that Patty.

Typical woman, talking in circles.

dieselss likes this.
  14. dieselss

Mark, that was my point as well. Cheep lights aren't worth it in the long run.

My rigids in the rear will melt off snow no problem, so some LEDs due creature heat

15. 1olddogtwo

Sometimes taking the OP down the long road is more educational.

I'm not sold on them for being the primary light tho. Sounds like he has a older plow with some sealed beams so anything is better then what he has now

16. Mark Oomkes

I used to get nastygrams when taking members down the long road.

17. 1olddogtwo

33 to go.......

18. Mark Oomkes

I need to get my sarcasm meter checked.......believe it or not.