1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Upgrade old syle lights to Night Hawk?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mikeitu7, Dec 22, 2010.

1. mikeitu7

mikeitu7 Senior Member
    from Palos

I need to replace my lights on my unimount. My question is since they cost the same can I put the nighthawks on the plow instead? If so what modifications do I need to do?
    Thanks

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

yup, as far as wiring them, I can get you directions and part numbers to get it done...as far as mounting, I'll have to dig into that. Fisher sells a mounting bracket for the older headgears, but the Western's are slightly different. I'll let you know shortly if no one else pipes in.

How many connectors do you have at the grill? ISO or Relay setup?

3. mikeitu7

mikeitu7 Senior Member
    from Palos

I have the two plug system. It is a 9 pin and it does not have the isolation module.
    Thanks for the input.

4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

The Nighthawks SUCK! Flimsy, Break easily, shake like crazy running down the road,
    piss poor light pattern, $pendy bulbs too!
    Not to mention they don't put out much heat so they ice over easily and are like big icecicles!

IMO the old Western/Grote lights are much better, more solid, use a cheap sealed beam
    bulb and have a better light pattern.
    A used set can be found cheap!

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

In what world are living in...granted I have a different headgear setup, but the old ones suck in comparison. I take it you had the old design setup (2 screws on the back)?

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

You can wire them...but I'm unfamiliar with the headgear lay out as far as bolting them to it. I couldn't find an adapter bracket, but from what I can tell, if there isn't proper spaced holes already existing, you can simply drill a second hole to the proper width and mount them accordingly.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  7. sonjaab

Well then Mr Expert....................Yours are DIFFERENT eh?

Well Mr. Expert..............I guess cause your trying to SELL somebody something
    you can sugarcoat it to make them better !

I am just posting my opinion on MY Nighthawks compared to my Grotes....
    No more no less ! I been around the block a few times so its not my first rodeo!

I am sure Mike can read the other Nighthawk problem/opinion threads for himself.
    But he will find opinions and experiences just like MINE!

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yes, mine are different, or should I say I've seen nothing but 100% improvement over the old style lights.

Are you smoking crack or something....I'm not selling anything. Where do you see that I'm offering anything for sale? I'm not a dealer...I was only offering guidence and knowledge....

By the way, They're both Grotes.... goes to show how much you really know huh.

First rodeo....I can tell, just because you've been around for awhile, doesn't mean you know what your talking about. Instead you walk around like you own the place with comments like..." I been around the block a few times so its not my first rodeo!"....go back to kiddie camp, nobody cares. There are guys on here that have only been around for a few months that show more class and etiquette then youv'e shown here.

Throw up a thread with a poll and see whats what. I could care less either way, what I'm telling you is whatever you experienced is a common depiction of the old style lights, not the revised ones. Which leads me to believe you've had your head out of the game for while....otherwise you would of already known this, as it is what I consider; common knowledge.

9. 94formy

94formy Junior Member

In my expirence (3 Meyers, 2 Curtis, 2 Hinikers, 1 Fisher, 1 Boss, And 11 Westerns covering all generations) the nighthawks are the best lights I've come across. Brighter and better pattern, and a far superior mounting system that holds the headlights in place a lot better.

10. mikeitu7

mikeitu7 Senior Member
    from Palos

Thanks guys for the imput. I just figured since the nighthawks are about $8 more than the old ones, I might as well put the nighthawks on. I will go to my dealer and ask to see a set to see if it easy to mount them. As far as wiring I could probably hard wire them to work. I'll keep you posted. Thanks Again.

11. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

This part I agree with, at least in heavy snow.

The rest of your post is BS. :D

12. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Sonjabb

What is your problem?........All he is giving is an opinion...Not a price tag...

Ask Santa for a new attitude for 2011............

Now I understand, must be the Syracuse attitude, better then anyone else...

13. mikeitu7

mikeitu7 Senior Member
    from Palos

Oh boy what did I do, just wanted to change my lights since they were both broken when a car came into my lane and I hit it. Its going to cost me about $800 to get the plow going again, but I think it is worth it because it is a four spring plow. I will try the nighthawks and see how they are. I did see that it is going to take some drilling to install. But hopefully they will light up more than the old style.

14. mikeitu7

mikeitu7 Senior Member
    from Palos

These replies are actually nothing compared to what has been going on the weather discussion for the Chicago area. Look for yourself it is almost getting like a soap opera. LOL.:laughing:

15. cubicinches

Are the people in Syracuse really like that?

16. sonjaab

What a bunch of tools!

You crybabies gettin' your panties in a wad because somebody disagrees.............

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  17. RepoMan207

from Maine

LMAO....Well, there is our answer! :laughing:

On a serious note....are we talking Snap On quality tools.....or more like Kobalt kind of quality......? I don't know if my fragile state of mind could stand to be called a Husky ratchet, or a Great Neck 8 mm wrench.....

18. cubicinches

You Syracuse guys just think you're better than everyone else... :(

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  19. RepoMan207

from Maine

For someone that has been around here for awhile, you should know it's not a matter of you disagreeing, more the WAY you disagree.

C'mon, I could care less if your opinion differs from mine...I'll voice mine as well, but the last thing you want to do is come at someone in the manner that you did. Granted, I did start off a bit pushy....but as most guys on here know....that's me. read any of my posts and you'd know that. I thought I was being serious and kind in the rest of that initial post to you. Why come back with an all superior attitude and take it to the next level? I actual felt bad after I posted my response to you, but WTF am I suppose to do.....bow down to the almighty veteran legend....I think not.

20. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Oh yes they do..........They think they can control whoever they want..Then when they loose control, they cry like a sissy who just lost her teddy bear.. Right sonjaab.. Ever hear this saying, you should know it by heart" speak to the hand, the face is not listening DUDE..............

Here some advice, GET A GRIP...........