1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Upgrade from Fisher HT

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ramair2k, Feb 17, 2015.

1. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

Looking to upgrade from my Fisher HT. With all the snow in the Boston area, I have picked up several residential accounts plowing driveways. I have realized that the Fisher HT, with as much snow as we have gotten, can't stack as high as I would like it too because of the short lift ram stroke. Also, if I ever decide to plow for the city, I don't think the HT will hold up too well.

So my question is this. I don't want to go from the HT to the SD because I personally don't think the SD is THAT much beefier than the HT. I would like to go for the 7.5 HD if anything. I have a 2013 Silverado Crew cab Z71. Are there any other blades, fisher brand, that I could go with other than the 7.5 HD? Would my truck handle the 7.5 X-Blade?

I don't care what the Fisher website says in regards to E-Match. E-Match shows the HT or homesteader for my truck. I am asking for you professionals, what my truck can safely handle without breaking anything on the truck. I see many guys around town with my exact truck using the 7.5 HD so I know it can handle it. Is there any other blade that I could get besides the SD and HD? 7.5 Xv1 too heavy??

2. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I would stick with the SD if I were you.The SD is 26" high
    6 7" when it is fully angled and weights 487 pounds.The HD is 29" high 6 9" when it is fully angled and weighs 630 pounds.The reason I say stick with the SD is your only gaining 3" of height and it doesn't weigh as much as the HD so not as much weight on the front of the truck.Go with the SD and put a set of timbrenns in and some sand bags in the bed for weight (and traction if you need it)Also certain towns want 3/4 or 1 tons plowing so check and make sure they will allow a 1/2 to plow (where I used to live 3/4 and 1 tons plowed the streets and had to have so many flashing lights

3. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

Thanks for the input. My city allows jeeps with homesteaders plow the streets. So yea...basically anything with a plow can plow

4. ronJr

ronJr Junior Member

i believe the ht is 27" tall. maybe keep what you have

5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes the HT is 27" tall and 6'7 when fully angled.

6. xramblade

xramblade Junior Member
    from Pa

new plow coming

Hello, This maybe old news but my dealer told me the x-blade will be discontinued and replaced with a brand new model at some upcoming show. Again since you guys are pro's you might already know a lot more than this. MJ

7. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

I think the Fisher 7'6" SD is the best match for your truck since your only using a half ton. It can handle the HD blade, but you are putting extra weight in the front end and may cause some premature wear. There are a bunch of guys on here running 8' HD blades and X-blades on half tons, but they usually have a lift kit and timbrens. I have a leveling kit on my truck and a 7'6'' SD blade, it stacks snow pretty good and I'm not putting much wear on the front end. I would love to run a 8' HD, but at the same time, don't want to put more strain than necessary on my truck, (truck is my personal truck, not just for work), so, I would go for the 7'6'' SD. If you are gonna go HD, just go all out and get an 8' HD instead of the 7'6'', or buy an 8' HD and Ill trade ya for my SD, haha