1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Upgrade from a 7.5 Fisher to an 8, new blade or the whole assembly??

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Lowell_Ma_Snow, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Lowell_Ma_Snow

Lowell_Ma_Snow Member

I have a question to help in my dilemma to decide on making a decision and you guys on here could help in weighing out the best results. I have 22 driveways and 5 of my families homes in the area with flag downs between customers and word of mouth during the storms.
    I have a 7.5 Fisher MM2 3 wire w/ backdrag on my 06 GMC 2500HD. I'd rather have an 8" Fisher blade on the truck. The pump and wiring works fine and plow frame is in great shape. I would have to sell the 7.5 before I do anything cause I really don't have any good storage for it to hang around and I rent. The blade and frame are recently painted but could use a new cutting edge by mid winter but the 7.5 just doesn't cut it like an 8.
    1) Sell the 7.5 blade w/backdrag on Internet first. Buy a used decent 8" blade (tough find) or new and install it and have a backdrag blade made for it a short time later?
    2) Sell the 7.5 MM2 assembly w/backdrag on Internet. Buy the 8' MM2 assembly used on Craigslist sale somewhere that's about a year or two old for let's say $2400 up to $2800 or possibly more?
    3) Look into a trade? I found 2, more posts could show later, let them know what I have, and possibly come up a few more dollars depending on what they have that's recently newer.
    4) Last....check into a loan, look into the used and new, post the 7.5 for a reasonable price?

I'd hope to get this done and ready for snow in two weeks. Either way I look at it I'll be spending some money so there's no way around it as long as I plan it right without going about it costing a huge amount. Would have been great if the truck came with an 8' blade when I bought it.
  2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

You can move a lot of snow with a 7.5.... I did it for years, even 5 years of running a 3/4 ton that could handle much more. You already have a setup that works and is ready to roll. The backdrag is a big asset to you and should decrease some of your time even with a shorter blade. I don't know that a change of 6" will make much difference in efficiency for the cost. If you were going for an 8'6" V or something like that, maybe. Look into wings!
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

My dad plows with a 7.5 footer at his office and when I used my 8ft to help him if I can there is a noticeable increase in productivity, however as kevin mentioned, you already have a working setup and for 6" is not worth changing imo. Look into wings as he said if you really want more snow capacity.
  4. Lowell_Ma_Snow

Lowell_Ma_Snow Member

Thanks for the input, helps on making a decision.
  5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I third that, for what your doing you might want to consider staying put for now.

Another option to consider is just changing out the blade and keeping the A frame & Headgear. It all depends on WHICH headgear & A frame you have if your able to do it, and your still looking at about$1400 new unless you can find a used one. But like I said, it may be another avenue.

Good luck!
  6. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

I'd say keep it too. Wait til the spring... Because you never know whats going to happen, you could sell your plow and then not find the deal you want and have it snow so you have to buy something on impulse that might not be the best deal... As Ryan said, you could do a blade swap, there may even be someone on here who wants a 7.5 and has an 8. How big are your drives that you want the 8ft? I would figure the 7.5 to be pretty good for drives, no? Good luck with whatever you choose.
  7. Lowell_Ma_Snow

Lowell_Ma_Snow Member

Here's the good news where I just signed papers on a settlement and the money should come through by the end of Dec......but I'm not going to let it burn a hole in my pocket. I'm looking into buying a house with a decent deposit on the home. Has a barn/garage with a loft and workshop. Saw the barn need to see the house.
    Some of my driveways are 150" in length and double width. I did all of them with an 8' and a backdrag on the blade. I haven't given this 7.5 a chance and will have to see how well it works out. I have one driveway, new account, where edge is a wall and drops of into the neighbors yard. Been told a wrecker has already pulled 2 trucks out in the past. I don't want to be 3rd. I'll stay away from the edge and snowblow whats left. I like the 8' and may look into a swap and check out what's out there.
    My truck goes into the body shop after an 18 yr old kid side swiped my drivers side and destroyed the step bar the other day. When I look at it after repairs it will never be the same. I'll know there's plastic under what used to be perfect. Oh well just take it a day at a time and deal with it.
  8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

You'd be amazed how good and solid it will look. It all depends on who is doing the work really.

The bigger the blade, the further you'll be away from that ditch.

Smart move on investing the money into a home rather then blowing it. Just remember, no matter which property you choose, the garage or workshop has to be no less then double the square footage of the house! :D
  9. Lowell_Ma_Snow

Lowell_Ma_Snow Member

I know the body shop has a good reputation. I'll spend a lot of time in the barn/garage and the loft could be easily made or converted to a sports room and storage of my stuff.
    I think I'll make a small investment in snow wings. It's been posted as an idea and after viewing one particular truck with wings then I'll get the extra inches needed to clean the driveway. I'll just watch how close I get to the home, fencing or any other objects. Not too bad for price, approx $230 for a set. Here's a pic of Mark13's truck with wings. I really like the set up and figuring how it'll work for my 7.5 I could work it out and add markers to judge the wing location.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009