1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Updated and Expand Salt Box

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by EdNewman, Dec 18, 2011.

1. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

So I decided after the battles with the snow covered tarp and needing weekly deliveries, it was time for a newer bigger salt box this year. Thankfully the snow has held off so far so I should be able to get it done. Started this weekend with breaking down the old one, cleaning the area and laying out the new one. I'm going about 50% bigger, basically 20x20 now with 6' block walls. I also lined the lower 4' with plywood to provide a rub protection for the bucket when scrapping and to prevent any salt from leaking out. My shelter for it arrived Friday so that is tomorrow's project for the crew. It is a 3 side plus roof heavy duty canopy shelter. 10' walls, 13'+ at the peak with heavy duty 1-5/8" frame inclduing a extra truss and extra rear support. Hopefully it will go up smoothly and support the wet snowfall we get around here. It will be nice to have reasonable dry salt. Here are some pics where is stands after 1 day of construction. Second pic has 20 yards of salt in the box.

2. 04tundra

04tundra Senior Member

looks great, cant wait to see pics of the canopy put on Thumbs Up

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Nice man, You will wonder how you went without a covered salt box up to now.
  4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Nice Work........:salute:

That will Hold some Tonnage.......:drinkup:
  5. snow man 0311

snow man 0311 Member

Hey that look' s good ..Is that over in the industial area ?
  6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

looks good, like the plywood
  7. A&J Landscaping

A&J Landscaping Senior Member

Nice job good luck this winter
  8. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Yes, in the Hauppauge industrial park.

Here is the finished product with my JCB loading some salt...

9. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good!
    Bet it sucked drilling into those blocks!
  10. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

looks pretty fresh, nice job
  11. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Very nice! If you dont mind me asking, where did you get your shelter at? Simple but effective, I like it.

12. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

canopies4less.com ended up about $600 plus about $500 in fence pipe. More labor to cut and put together as custom verses buying an off the shelf, but I wanted (needed) the height which most of the standard ones you can buy don't have in the 20x20 size.
  13. threeleaf

threeleaf Senior Member

how do you like the jcb midi?
    dont see to many of them,i was thinking about adding one to the fleet..