1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Updated a truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by PTSolutions, Jan 4, 2016.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

We had a custom dump bed built to our srw 350. It has 550 rear springs as well. The pickup bed was almost rotted out around the wheel wells so instead of getting a new bed plus a dump insert, we had this made for almost the same cost if not a little cheaper. Then added the salt dogg replacement gate salter. She pulls a 24' enclosed trailer for mowing all summer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

that came out really nice for a conversion! what did it run you if you don't mind me asking?

3. PTSolutions

I think it came out to about 6300 painted (with me buying the paint, ford dark torreador code).

I figured with a new pickup bed at almost 2k painted, then another 5k or more for an aluminum truckcraft insert, this was cheaper and I get more capacity.

I have an almost identical 2006 6.0L that is starting to get wheel well rot that we may do the exact same thing with except an aluminum dump bed.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I want to put f550 rear springs in our f350srw too. Have you tested the truck loaded? Ours has a flat bed but the bed comes over the rear wheels and when loaded with more than 1.5 tons of salt it's really close to rubbing the tires even with the air bags inflated to 50'ish psi.

5. LogansLawnCare

LogansLawnCare Member

That looks great! I have been thinking about doing the same thing to one of our trucks that is getting a bit of rust above the wheel wells as well. I agree for the little extra that it costs over a replacement bed and insert this is the way to go

6. PTSolutions

Brian, The 550 springs work great and are much less hassle than air bags which we have in other trucks. Last winter we ran a 500 gallon liquid de-icer unit from Turbo turf in the back. The unit itself is probably about 1-1300lbs plus the 500 gallons of liquid at 11lb/gal.

So it was holding around 6500lbs in the bed. It wasn't anywhere near ideal but we had to make do.

Here is a picture with roughly 400 gallons in the tank:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

WOW that's a lot of weight and it doesn't even look like anythings in it. I think that's what I'm going to do and maybe put the air bags on the new truck just in case.

8. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

That dump bed looks great! Gives me a few ideas. Two of my trucks will need beds for next year, one long bed and one short bed. The price of take off beds are insane, up here your looking at close to $3k for a short bed, then you have to paint it! Hit something with you new bed and flush that $3k down the drain.....

9. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I would add a tool box and an open tool basket to it, as well as a tarp roller shield....jmo

price is hard to beat for that, not sure how far from Martinsburg PA you are but look up Martins Welding. They would make you an aluminum dump for not a whole lot more than that and its nice work. That is the perfect little mow rig, especially if you don't bag much.

How did you like that sprayer? Debating whether to build on or buy something...the one I had bought I forced the dealer to buy back...leaked like a sieve

10. PTSolutions

I did hear about Martins but they were over a month out when I contacted them. I had originally left the truck with a 2k deposit at another shop in PA, but the guy was a crook and was filing for bankruptcy. At first he kept giving us excuses why the truck wasnt ready 2 months later then he stopped answering our calls. Finally had someone drive by and the truck never moved from where we left it.

My brother and I drove up there and confronted him in a not so subtle manner. He admitted to lying and being in bankruptcy. Lucky I put the deposit on a credit card so Visa refunded me that back.

The shop here was able to get this turned around in just over a week for us as we were already into the mowing season. I am very happy with how it turned out with the rush we had them do, but I already told them to take more time with the next one and keep things a little nicer and cleaner. I have actually had them do a lot more work for us on other trucks. They installed a 48" stainless polished box on our c6500.

There is a 2' long underbody box on the passenger as that was the biggest that would fit. I'm not to concerned about the tarp shield, this was just a cheap buyers unit. For the next one, I'm going to have it more integrated.

We like the sprayer, it was just a learning curve using liquid for the first time. We made sure to clean it out really well in spring because we did quite a few hydroseeding jobs with it as well and never had any germination issues.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  11. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

What kind of air bags do you have? I have Air Lift, and I add four thousand pounds of salt, plus the weight of the spreader (around 500) and with my bags pumped up to 85 lbs. I have the exact same clearance (ground to top of fender well) as I have completely empty.