1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Update on Blizzard plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ProSno, Jan 31, 2002.

1. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Last week we had 5 inches of the whate stuff and I used my new Blizzard plow on all my large commercials and a road that I plow. I have two fishers and a diamond, I can tell you this-The Blizzard scrapes down incredible. And as far as backblading does a super job. Big lots and roads are so much quicker with the plow extended the 10'. I am still getting used to it but so far no problems and it is shaving hours off my plow time. If I could I would replace my other plows with Blizzard units. I will update if there is any problems.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

i will be finishing the install on my new blizzard today. assembled the plow last saturday and all went well. i was VERY impressed to say the least with the over all construction of the plow. i operate heavy equipment, track loaders, track hoes etc... for a living and i see alot of the same designs for strenght going into this plow as i do in the equipment i operate on a daily basis. all i need now is some snow to try it out on. good luck and keep us posted on your new blizzard.
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I am thinking about a Blizzard for my next plow,I m a little nervous about going with one,still.I see them brand new on Ebay all the time with a $2500 reserve,but they are in the middle US,Wisconsen,I think,with shipping they still might come in under 3K,If they have the updated VB,I might try one,that 10 ft width,and scoop position is very tempting.So are the clean scraping abilitys of the straight blade.

saw those on ebay myself, a day after i got mine. that is a good price even if you spend $500 on shipping which is what the guy, selling them on e-bay told us it would cost to ship to PA. mine was $4000 out the door with me doing the install. i prefer to do the install myself to know the ins and outs of the plow to repair it myself in the middle of the night in case of a break down. if the plow works half as good as it is built, they will be great and a year from now everyone on here will be raving about them. i will post as sson as i get to use my new blizzard.
  5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Steve, I noted the same comparison to construction equipment, box framing as is used on modern heavy equipment. They are very impressive. Plus the biggest pistons I've seen on an 8' or 9' plow.

John, if you can get a serial number from the plow you are bidding on and call Blizzard, 888-680-8600, they will tell you if it has the improved valve manifold . Their engineers are very helpful if you hit a problem. I can give you the name of a dealer in Schenectady if you need, $4100 out the door. The optional joystick control is $100 extra but well worth the money, a pleasure to use.

spoke to blizzard direct today to find out the old / new manifold story and they told me that the old manifolds were silver in color (junk) and the new improved manifolds were red which is what i have. WE removed my old meyer wiring and framework with some help from the hot wrench on the stubborn bolts and installed the blizzard framework. i think someone at blizzard was smokin some crack when they wrote the directions. some of the nuts were next to impossible to get a wrench on to tighten them. blizzard recommends 12 1/2 inches from the ground to the center of the push bar. were you guys able to get close to 12 1/2 inches?
    should finish up tommorrow with the wiring etc.
  7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I got exactly 12 1/2 inches on mine, with the selection of holes to use it wasn't too tough. I did get some additional bolts to fill some of the empty holes, maybe it wasn't neccessary but I feel better about it. On those bolts that go inside the frame rail, I taped the bolt to a box wrench and fished it down to the hole and put the nut outside the rail. They make a little wire mesh tool that slips over the bolt end with a wire attached so you can feed the wire through your hole and then pull the bolt through. I've seen them but don't know where to get them.

There were some other nuts that I had to use different combinations of extensions to tighten, but got them all eventually.