1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Update on 6 cylinder!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Dave in Pa., Nov 4, 2002.

1. Dave in Pa.

Dave in Pa. Junior Member

Well the 88 F-250 (6800 gvw )6 cylinder had a 5speed aluminum cased overdrive tranny & everyone said pass on that, plus he wouldn't budge off $2000 so I bought the 84 F250 (8600 gvw) with the 4 speed manual and the 460 motor. New rubber all around, runs good, no dents, minor rust, 120k on truck, motor rebuilt sometime back, needs cosmetics and paid $1000 for it. Hope I didn't make a mistake?! It is a beast! All this to hang my western plow on for my farm & 7 or 8 driveways. If we get a couple storms I'll pay for the truck if it holds up! Thanks for all the advice, Dave (Great Site!) :drinkup:
  2. ramrod98

ramrod98 Member
    from NEPA

Well Dave,,,,,,,,

This is my first time here and I saw your post. i did not go any further to see what all it was about. i can only tell you that I have a 1988 Ford f150 with almost 260,000 miles on it. This truck is original with no motor work ever being done except changing the spark plugs a few times.

I have plowed snow since this truck was new. I runa fisher plow which is heavier than a western. i plow all day long and usually into the next day when a snowstorm hits. I have never had a problem with that 5 speed trans nor any problems at all--other than an alternator burning up once. My truck still does not use oil between changes. I do not understnd why there would be a problem with a truck such as this, but i have never had a problem personally. That v300 engine is the best engine Ford ever built in my opinion. The transmission---well-----an automatic might be nicer as of the shifting. Maybe it might be time for me to change that transmission fluid after all of these years,,,,now that i think of it! you made a mistake not buying that 88 Ford!
    Best to you!