1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Update: "How would you handle this situation"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LwnmwrMan22, Jan 6, 2008.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Well, as was said in the other thread, I went and took pictures, since there was some serious melting today.

The first ones are some of the pictures that I took in October, for the records.

The first one, on the far left, is the far parking spots that were okayed to stack the snow in.

The one that's an empty parking lot, you can see my truck on the left. If you look close, you'll see a row of junipers all along that property line. Those will come into play later.

The "random" pictures show pieces of sod either sitting up on the piles of snow, or there's a picture or two of missing sod in the turf areas.

Also, there will be a picture or two of where they drove the loader (looks likes a skidsteer) all over the turf.

Then there will be 2 pictures, a closer one of the junipers, then the whole row, where they buried the junipers, hopefully with the loader / bucket not too low.

Lastly, I took a couple of pictures to show at the bank next door that I got the recommendation from, which I plow, to show that yes, I do know how to push snow back, when I'm required to by stipulations in the service agreement.

2. LwnmwrMan22

More pics....

Again... these are pics I could take after 1 day of melt (+32 degrees). If I can see this along the edges, hopefully there isn't more than already shown. I also have about 10 more pics of damage, but it's fruitless to post multiple pics of sod on top / mixed into snowbanks.

Personally, as I stated before, I would have just used a 6' snowblower and never had equipment on the turf, but now there's more than $100 (much more if the junipers are damaged) of repairs.

The last picture is the whole row of junipers that you see in the second pic above.

3. LwnmwrMan22

My "non-curb-jumping-snow-stacking" pictures....

As you can see in the second one, I DO actually jump the curb if need be, but only if the clients insist.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

little lost on what your talking about but from what i see i would handle it by ignoring it. don't see any substantial damage. hundred bucks? doesnt sound to major.

it does look like you went up on the curb in one of those stacking snow. I am sure there is a more likley explanation for the snow being further back.
  5. LwnmwrMan22

Brirbrius - The $100 was what I said I would charge if I moved the snow back to begin with, not that I think there's $100 of damage.
  6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

So whats the question?
  7. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Lwnmwrmn22 -you have a pm.
  8. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

9. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Honestly I woulden't worrie about it at all, infact if I were you id just start pushing it back farther from now on. atleast you can be more careful instead of the other clown. Really some damage will be done, we crush bushes, trees, and shrubs (not all on purpose, but most we don't worry about) and it all comes back to life. Also ive piled on electrical boxes which I try not to do but it happens. Not the end of the world!

10. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

good thing you do have pics of damages. I'll say it again, push the snow to and over the curb till the wheels touch and if you can't push anymore push as far as it will go. Come back with a loader.

I wouldn't replace it with sod, only seed if I did the damages on behalf of there insisted services.
  11. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

We have a standard company policy. The customers always right !...ok, enough said on that part }{}{} chuckle}{}{}

We also factor into our winter ops rolling into spring ops the fact that we will be seeding and sodding some various places to repair damages caused by our winter snow ops. Face it people...we are humans and we will make mistakes. Turf damage is acceptable but other types of damages are not acceptable.

I must say, if your not factoring in this type of post season work into your normal springs ops, then you need to redo your common practices ( SOP's) and put it in there asap.

Have a nice day.....:salute:
  12. LwnmwrMan22

I don't factor in replacing sod every year. In 12 years of plowing, I've had to replace 12 rolls of sod at one location, where a salt heavy pile of snow burned the sod.

I've replaced 2 bushes, no trees.

Again, I guess it's a selling point to the customer that we don't do damage to property???
  13. LwnmwrMan22

I realize that there's accounts that you put snow where you can put snow.

I've had accounts in the inner core of St. Paul, MN where there was quite literally 800 sq ft of usuable space, and the rest was planting areas, picnic benches, etc. The manager said go ahead and bury, we're not paying to have removed... soooo...

But you may not have been able to tell by the couple of fall pictures I posted, is that there's literally 2-3 acres of field that they could have piled the snow on.

The second cluster of pictures is an area about the size of an acre, which the "Y" was using for flag football / picnic area, where they piled all the snow, ran the skid all over the turf, created ruts.

Again, just some stuff that didn't need to occur at all.
  14. LwnmwrMan22

I've had my meeting with the "Y".

I am now relieved of repair duties.

Turns out it was the director's fiancee that did the work, he didn't have any work (construction) around New Years so said he'd run over and do it.

Well, supposedly he's going to be responsible for the repairs, as far as what the maintenance guy has said.

I told them that I have pictures and documented everything, so hopefully no one will try to pull a fast one on me.

I reminded them that this could have all been avoided, along with the repairs, and they said next time I'll definately get the call.....
  15. Runner

Runner Senior Member

So in other words, some inexperienced guy with nothing to do thought he'd "be the man" or the hero of the day and "help out" with his big bad truck and end up tearin' the place up. wesport
  16. LwnmwrMan22

Pretty much... the director told me when I bid the place out that her fiancee had done lawn work / snowplowing for 15 years, but moved on "to better things".

I guess this work shows why he couldn't make it in this industry.

Biggest issue I have now is getting the stuff back to as nicely groomed as I had it last year, that is if I get the account back, which, I don't know why I wouldn't.

They've already shown that low bid doesn't win, unless it was the situation where I was low bid, and they just tried to get me lower with a shill of an offer from a different company.
  17. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

So are you going to put it to the property managers attention that there is turf damage now?
  18. LwnmwrMan22

Read post 14.

Yes, I've been relieved of cleanup / damage next spring.
  19. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

glad everything turned out good for ya so now your back in the good guys seat
  20. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

My contract already covers it so I wouldn't of been stressing take pics & forget about it. Worded as; " This contract does not prohibit the client from bringing in another contractor to do additional work (ie snow stacking). However if another contractor is brought in, it will void all warranty as to property damage."
    I have yet to see an excavation company stack snow & not destroy the place in the process. I do all my own stacking with my Bobcats for this reason, they aren't the fastest, but do it & don't make a mess.