1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Update For Plow Project!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mcwlandscaping, Sep 18, 2007.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I have switched topics since the info i need is hard to find within the plow manufactureres. I am now focusing on a truck. I am designing a new truck (more like putting features in the current truck), and want your input on what you guys would want in your ultimate plow/work vehicle, while keeping things realistic based on current technology. Such as axles, motors, trans, wiring, options, tire/wheel size....etc. please, put in any and all suggestions you have!!! There are a few (mainly from itsgottabegreen) in the other thread that'll ill definitely be using. But, guys, go to town on this!!!

thanks,
    -mike-

here is a link to the old thread
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=47921

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

a built in massager in my nice leather heated captains chairs!

3. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

back up lights that are actually useful---BRIGHT

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

A built in coffee pot with waitress!

5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmmmm,

Hit Reverse and bright back up lights kickon and off
    decent trans cooler
    decent cup holder that can not be jarred
    windows that will not fog up
    plow prep plow package with a turn off key for the air bags
    a forward/reverse only mode on the trans as opposed to the shifter
    decent speaker phone - onstar but, costs less
    a controlled box for ballast and comes in and out with zero effort
    better back support from the seat
    vents that do not blow into your eyes

6. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

wipers that will not freeze up

7. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Universal plow wiring harness, already installed in the truck that plow manufacturers would base their systems on. So basically installing a plow is "plug and play" as far as the wiring goes.

Put a two prong plug on the roof of plow prep trucks so all you have to do is plug in your beacon. No fishing the wires out of a headliner.

Make the bumpers on plow prepped vehicles able to accept plow mounts without removing pieces of the bumper or lower valance.

8. salopez

salopez Senior Member

Solid axels with all wheel steering. Like others have said wipers that don't ice up kind of like subarus....

heavy trans coolers.

or how about a compact truck built tough like a 3/4 so you can plow with it in general...

9. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Forward Neutral Reverse with Park lock out lever mounted on the floor with the plow controller built in.

Stainless Brake & Trans lines Stainless Steel Exhaust

Not that any of us need it, but they use to have “5 mph” bumpers that gave a little prior to denting the truck or what ever you hit.

Air bag front suspension that you could add more pressure to when the plow was on and lower with it off.

Road/Surface Temp gage

Love to back up camera

10. mcwlandscaping

BUMP!! thanks guys for the replies so far! keep them coming :)

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

A Reg cab, short box truck that is built like a 3/4 or 1 ton. (already mentioned I think)
    A solid front axle as an option on GM trucks.
    The ability to lock all 4 wheels while pushing straight so you have true 4wd.

12. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

lights on the side view mirrors pointing tward the front of the truck

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

How about wiring already in place in various parts of the truck for remote strobes(under bumpers, behind the grill, body mounted strobes, etc)

Wonder if it would be possible to have the controller for the plow control Drive to Reverse selection for the truck. Have like a rocker switch on the side of it or something so as you are raising or lowering the plow you can change the direction your truck will go all from the plow controler.

14. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know .... the 5mph bumpers sound good but, the new Body style Chevy has plastic for bumpers. I'd like to have the good 'ol solid steel with massive reinforcement behind them. I'd rather not tap a frozen mound and be out several hundred when the bumper should have done it's job.

15. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

they should have snowplow package one
    snow plow package two
    snowplow package three.

so that depending on how into snow plowing you are you can choose a base option package for plowing or a all included snowplow package.

if all included is chosen all the equipment should be hooked up, ready to go plowing when you drive off the lot. im sure the truck manufacturer could cut a deal with fisher, or over strobes or whatever and mass purchase produce these at a quarter the costs that serious snowplowers spend adapting the vehicle to suit the intended purpose. some probably like to personlize the truck and prefer certain brands, from my point of view i really dont care as long as im not tracing wiring or driving to stores or spending dollars to fix what should have been to begin with.

16. mcwlandscaping

Alright, thanks everyone for your suggestions, next class period ill be putting all this together. I'm going to try to draw some of it out, so, be prepared to see some REALLY lousy pictures!! lol

17. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Use google, "WHIITE NIGHT" Back up lights. work wonderful!!!

18. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

The old cars use to have them where it was a steel bumper mounted on basicly two shocks. When they hit, below a certian speed, the shocks would compress and give. This would, in some cases, save damage to either things. In the 80's they started switching to plastic bumpers that looked like honeycoam.

19. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Ford came out with a new invention called a FRONT WINDOW DEFROSTER. If you turn the red and blue dial to red, you will see that the wipers do not freeze up.

20. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

What about a hydro tranny? No more trips to the tranny shop when you don't stop completely before shifting. This will enable you to truly "shift on the fly". Think about it. You can be stacking snow and going into reverese at the same time without doing damage to the trans.