1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Nor'Easter & Notifing Customers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmjr77, Feb 9, 2005.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Hello! Since we are going to be slammed with a Nor"Easter that could dump 20 or more inches of "cement" over the next days on us, should I notify my customers that I might have to plow there driveway maybe more than once so that I dont tear my equipment? I have a clause built into my contracts if I have to come back during the same storm it is 1/2 of the driveway per storm.
    Thank You

2. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

If you can, sure. Tell them that you will plow with the storm and try to stay on top of things. This will play especially well with doctors and others who may be on call.

We try to do an e-mail blast before big storms.

3. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Lucky SOB's, I wish we had a prediction of 14-20". We got a mere coating today and now it is snowing a little. I think I should move out east. Time to go out salting, woohoo.

4. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

yeah really its raining here temps in mid to upper thirties. STUPID OHIO WEATHER :cry: :gunsfiring: I think I might move northeast!!!! payup

5. chris k

chris k Senior Member

That you might have to???? If we get more than 6" we plow them twice. If you have it in the contract then I wouln't bother calling them. I din't know how many accounts you have but I can tell you there is no way that I would call allmy customers. The only customers that get a phone call from us are the are our condo units and other comercial accounts. We just want to let them know that we are aware of what is happening and that we are prepared for it. When we got our blizzard a couple of weeks ago we went over a game plan with them as far as moving cars etc. NO residential calls.

6. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

I have 54 total driveways, (14 full time residents and 40 out of state 2nd homeowners) I luckilly have all of the emails for everyone. I sent a note to the second home owners to let them know what is going on and also to let them know that I might have to plow more than once so tha they wont question my next invoice. Did I do the right thing? I have signed contracts with them, but i just felt I would give them something in writing in case if there was a problem. Any input?

7. ebonang

ebonang Junior Member

I have the same price schedule. I charge 1/2 price for a second push within 24 Hrs., after 24 Hrs. it's full price. I give each customer a written estimate before I do any work for them and on the estimate I indicate the price schedule. I haven't called any customers before going back a second time and it seems to be working fine.

I use two part invoice forms for billing and estimates. That way I have copies and so does the customer.

8. chris k

chris k Senior Member

If you can send an email to everyone at one time then I would say you did the right thing. How long have you had the accounts. Being in NH I can't believe that this is the first time you have had to make more than one pass. What did you do in the past. I jst don't find it necessary to let them know I guess. I am going to do what I have to do to keep their driveways open during the storm and then we go back to clean up when it is over. I send them the bill and if the have a problem with the way I do things then call someone else.
    That last blizzard we had I had 5 guys out for 23 hours straight and then 3 guys for another 10 hours. There is no way that I would charge them for one pass. I wouldn't be able to cover payroll and gas. We plowed the residentials 3 times and they got charged for 3 times. No complaints yet.

9. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

Dm77- I state to every customer that anything over 8" is an automatic double charge/ blizzards are more
    Joel- southern NH

10. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

We just finished up the final cleanup from the storm. We will be hauling snow all week. We got 2 feet of snow here and we plowed all residential 3 times. Noone complained, were all glad too see us so they could "get out". Don't know where they were going. Roads were bad, stuff was closed etc.