1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Up keep for plow trucks

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by yell llc, Dec 5, 2010.

1. yell llc

yell llc Member

going to hopefully get into plowing this year and am just wondering after how many miles do people need to start replacing front end parts and other maitenence. I will probably be only plowing 500 miles tops a year. I have a f250 with the 5.4 and a 350 with the v10. How much better if any would the v10 do? is there any upkeep difference? any help would be great!
  2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Depends on how old the truck is and how you drive the truck.

I use a 2006 F-350 CC with the 5.4l engine to plow. Have an 8.5' Western MVP with wings, and I carry over 800 lbs of ballast. I had to replace one tie rod at about 45,000 miles, and just replaced the other one last month (at about 54,000 miles). I didn't have to replace the brakes until 45,000 miles, but I do very little towing with it. Other than that, I've done nothing other than normal maintenance, and I've had no problems whatsoever.

With respect to the V8 vs the V10, my understanding is that the fuel efficiency is not too much different. I've never had an issue with power in my V8 (I plow in 4hi), but given a choice, I'd rather have the V10 just to have the extra power (I actually wanted a V10 when I bought it, but they only had the V8 on the lot).
  3. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

You can do a lot of plowing and not put on many miles. Plowing forward puts miles on. Backing back out takes miles back off. So if you are plowing residential driveways in town you could get a lot of work done and put a lot of wear on the working parts of the truck and the plow without it showing on the odometer.

You might be better off to track hours instead of miles. It will be a better gauge of use.

So most important is good preventative maintenance. Replace parts that show wear in one way or the other, before they leave you sitting along the road in a snow storm at 4 AM.
  4. yell llc

yell llc Member

ok. i am only doing around 20 or so residentials and also a handful of parking lots and warehouses. also, how do you guys keep the salt from eating your trucks alive? wash ofter? body spray?
  5. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I don't think that backing up takes miles off the odometer.......

I just wash the truck in the self serve bays a few times during the winter to get the salt off of hidden spots under and around the truck. You would wash it every day and still get salt rust, so why fight it.
  6. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

just keep that check book closeby:mechanic:
  7. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Either undercoat the hell out of them or spray used motor oil all over the bottom to help fight the rust. Between the two of them i would run the V-10 for the more power and stronger tranny.
  8. Undercoat= Fluid Film............cant believe no one mentioned this before me! :nod:
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

the V-10 is awesome
    wash often and get under the truck when you spray
    then FF
  10. peterzereski

peterzereski Junior Member
    from RI

I have both the 5.4 and V 10 in Superduty trucks, the V10 is a beast and I wish they were both V 10's. The 5.4 is just not big enough for the size of SD trucks. It deos the job, but not like the v 10