1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

up is down, down is up- no more

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by itchyfishnv, Nov 16, 2004.

1. itchyfishnv

itchyfishnv Member

For you blizzard owners you know hitting the stick up drops the blade, and down raises the blade. I could not stand this. So I thought of a solution. I tried changing the wires for up and down, but that was a pain in the @$$, so what i did was change the left and right. On the joystick harness there is a blue and green wire, simply cut them and switch them around. After that I took the joystick off and mounted it upside down so hitting the stick down would drop the blade and vice versa, and left and right would stay the same. I then took the decal off the stick and photoshopped so raise would be on the top and drop would be on the bottom. If you are interested in doing this little project you can simply right click the picture and save it and print it (make sure its to scale) I printed it on glossy paper and laminated it and then glued it back onto the stick. The new logo looks like this:
  2. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I think I prefer it the way it is. Pull it back to raise, push it to lower it. Just like any loader/tractor. My old Western plow was the way you explained and that made sense because the stick was mounted below my dash facing me. My Blizzard is on my middle seat facing up. I don't know...it just makes sense to me how they have it. Although great job on the new sticker, looks just like the factory one.

3. itchyfishnv

itchyfishnv Member

Yeah i dont drive loaders or tractors so i wouldn't even know how it works. This is the first plow, it just seemed wierd to me. I couldnt get used to it.
  4. h_riderca

h_riderca Member

That bother me to at the beginning. but now I just think of it as pull "up" push to "lower"
  5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

If you change the operation labels from the factory you could be held liable in an accident. If another operator drops it on some ones foot for example because the controls are now backwards. I would urge you to change it back and use it the way it is designed. Just trying to give good advice. :)
  6. itchyfishnv

itchyfishnv Member

Well, its a personal use plow so no one is around when i use it so theres no way i could drop it on someones foot. Thats why i changed the label around so it reads the way i modified it. As long as the label is correct, then its your fault you cant read. But like i said no one drives the truck but me.
  7. itchyfishnv

itchyfishnv Member

The controls arnt backwards, thats why i made the label so once you look at the label you know that pushing the stick up raises the blade, and pushing the stick down drops the blade. Its just a matter of reading.
  8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

When I changed plows from my Western to my Arctic I had the same problem. When I asked the dealer his explanation was when you are flying a plane you pull back on the stick to climb and push forward to fall. I told him next time I went flying I would remember that. I think you could have changed the hoses on the pump for the left and right sides and you would not have had to cut any wires.