1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

up/down okay, but wont angle either way RT3

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Avitare, Feb 13, 2011.

1. This is an 11 year old straight 7.5 poly. Take good care of it but didnt realize the fluid
    was low. Never saw a leak,..and I look everyday before and after.

Plow stuck full left last week and I bumped the right side on a tree and she went back to normal. Lots of plowing later and even after 3hours this morning, suddenly it wont turn.
    Tried another tree (of course) but that didnt improve anything.
    This time the plow was straight and would not turn. Before it was full left and would not come back.

Found I was down about a quart. Had not checked the fluid since the beginning of the season. Should have after ripping the center pin out on Christmas eve but lucky to get welded on Christmas day (not popular,.. dont recommend it).

The pump is trying. Either movement of the joystick gets things rocking but that is it.
    Feels like pressure but the valve isnt opening.
    Trying to read the manual to see what it could be (actually still have it).
    Electrical connections look good. Next I could pull each and try but they are clean and
    not corroded.

I did disconnect one cylinder hose and put it in a bucket but only drained that line and
    created more air that blew more oil as Iifted the plow up and down again.
    Still sounds like the pump is up against pressure.

It isnt snowing and the temp is now way above freezing. Just missed a chance for a little
    work before the thaw.
  2. no ideas??

I have been trying the search and read pages of old posts.
    Wondering about the 'screen' but dont know how to go about that either

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Sounds like the angle valve to me. The bigger one with 2 coils on it. Mine went out and caused all kinds of headaches for me. Replaced that and it works fine now. They are pricey though, just fyi.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you check the angle coils for mag? Need to do that first and if they both have it, replace the angle valve. If there's no mag on either break out the test light and check for power and ground at the coil connections when the selected function is pressed.

Simple and easy diagnosis really.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Yes, forgot to add that. Thanks B&B for adding that.
  6. Thanks
    That seems to be a good route to try
    I understand the suggestions and appreciate now knowing which one I am dealing with

The feedback is very helpful
  7. Solved: Bad ground

The short of it: Our dealer is Truck and Trailer, Boyne City, MI
    They have resolved this issue so many times with Boss straight plows, they contacted Boss. Boss has ultimately revised the design with a direct ground wire from the Valve Assembly (manifold) to the negative on the pump motor.

Note: Boss actually got the solution from Truck and Trailer service department.

As soon as the mechanic had the cover off the hydraulic enclosure, he said, " I think I see the problem."
    He got a wire with alligator clips. clip - clip and the unit worked immediately.
    Note to others: carry a wire with clips

Since the solution took 5 minutes (a little more with an actual wire), I decided to have the hydraulic fluid changed and the screens cleaned (they were clean). Very little (stuff) in the reservoir. It's been 4 years and over 1000 driveways (minimum 100footers), so I was pleased that there was no concerns.

Out the door and glad to be back on the road and ready for years of reliable service ($70)
    Best darn dealer anywhere.

Thanks for the suggestions. If I had tried your ideas, I am sure the bad ground would have
    come up. But I would not have thought to put on a jumper wire ground.