1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

up down left right start working perfect then slowly all go away

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Blackpearl#1, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Blackpearl#1

Blackpearl#1 Junior Member

8 ft pro plow unimount on 92 Chevy ³/4 ton. Any input is greatly appreciated
    All connections are clean. Full of the good blue hydraulic oil. Motor spins fast. Last year completely rebuilt manifold and all 3 selonoids function properly. Just had to come home about half mile with plow just barely off ground. When I start everything is good and fast and acts as it should after 8 to 10 lifts-angles is gets slow moving. Motor and pump spinning as they should.
    Kris

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Have you actually cked the fluid?
    Might be freezing up.
    Are you getting proper volts to it as well? Any gauges to tell you what they are

3. Blackpearl#1

Wondering that about freeze up too but thought the blue stuff wouldn't freeze up? Fluid is full to bottom of threads. I can check voltage with a dmm but guess I'm not sure where to check that? Truck does have new alternator and battery last year. I also have a 3k psi gauge I could throw on it but I am sure pressure is getting low towards the end of it moving.

4. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

my fisher acted like this...cleaned the filter and has been good ever since

5. dieselss

Wait. Fluid is full to WHAT THREADS???
    Blue, green, red. Put any water in there and it'll sill freeze.

6. Blackpearl#1

Bottom of the filler hole threads and I agree about the water part. Ya know the filter is a great thought I will check that too. Thanks

7. dieselss

That's to much fluid!!! There's a "level plug" on the side that you fill to

8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Fluid should be changed annually. The blue fluid freezes worse than regular hydraulic fluid..... It absorbs moisture from the air so as it gets old it becomes "wetter". When they cook the blue fluid to give it the stable viscosity the trade off is the fact that is absorbs (actually draws fluid out of atmosphere) moisture. The same as brake fluid, that is why master cylinders have that black rubber diaphragm on the filler cap. The reservoirs on plows (with blue fluid) and master cylinders cannot be vented to atmosphere. Your uni has no vent, it has two solid plugs. When it's full there is an air pocket in the top of the reservoir that compresses and decompresses as the fluid goes up and down.
    If you have moisture and you park your plow in a warm garage the plow will work fine for a while until the moisture in the fluid crystallizes and accumulates on the sump screen. After a while the pump can't draw any fluid in so you loose functions. If you park it in a warm garage for a few hours it will warm up and melt. If this is the case, and you haven't changed your fluid in a few years, you should purge the res and the rams to get all the water out. Drain the res by taking both the top and bottom plugs out. This lets air in the top so the fluid comes out the bottom fast. I like to remove the motor and inspect the magnet for metallic particles and to verify the sump screen is good but that is not essential. After the res is drained then jack the blade up a bit, disconnect the ram hoses from the valve body and put them in a bucket. Then manually move the blade to the extremes a few times until all the fluid is out. Reconnect the hoses then refill the system and run it through the functions three times rechecking the level and topping it up after each cycle. After the third time the air should be purged and the level should be to the top of the filler plug. Be sure to put the control in float mode and push the lift frame down all the way before you check the level as that will return the maximum amount of fluid to the res.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  9. Blackpearl#1

Thank you guys so much for sharing your knowledge. I am back home now and I left it outside and it is -3* right now so I will try it and then bring it in the shop to warm it up and will advise on my findings. What type of fluid are you guys recommending if not the moisture attracting blue stuff? Again thanks for your help with this.
    Kris

10. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You want to be using plow fluid, the blue stuff for sure.... You just need to change it annually. The blue stays thin when the temp is very cold and still provides lubrication. That's what they fill it with at the factory and that's what you should be using. Back when your plow was new they may have recommended trans fluid but since then Western has adopted the blue fluid as have all other plow builders to the best of my knowledge.

11. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Also check the plug with the 9 pin check for corrosion especially the female.I had a uni and an issue with that

12. Blackpearl#1

Ice was it for sure. Brought it in the shop and loosened the ram hoses and took the fill plug off the reservoir then cracked open the drain plug and absolutely nothing came out!!! Stuck a small screw driver up there and broke thru the layer of ice in the bottom and let it drain. Heat gun on the reservoir and it really started draining out. I did manually move all the way left and right many times to be sure rams are empty. Leaving inside to be sure of full thaw and will refill tomorrow after work. Again thanks to all of you for the great input.
    Kris