1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Up Down Left But Not Right

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnsrusinc., Nov 24, 2004.

1. lawnsrusinc.

lawnsrusinc. Senior Member

Well I hate to say but snow is on its way and all the plows work fine except my one curtis. It goes up down left but not right. It did for a couple seconds but then stoped. Do you guys have any advice since i have no clue. The Tep here is 38 deg. so i wouldnt guess that it is frozen.

Help :eek:
    Thanks
    Jason

2. lawnsrusinc.

No one has ever had this problem or with any plow? I did a search with no results that relate to this problem.

Jason

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

www.curtiscabs.com/Curtis_Diagnostic_Guide

Well, that's not working. Do an Internet search - keyword "Curtis Snowplow", click on "Application Guide", then:

Scroll down and click on Diagnostic ...

You want Section B.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  4. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I would check the wiring that goes to the switch and make sure its making good contact

then kick that fu*k$r and yank on it real hard while you hit the angle cursing the whole time

5. lawnsrusinc.

I would have too say electrical to except the pump does make noise. The same noise it makes when it goes up or turns.

Jason

6. Tony Bonventre

Tony Bonventre Sponsor

Just becasue it make noise...

It can still be a electrical problem, in fact it sounds like an electrical problem. Given the fact that you have up down and left, I don't believe it is hydraulics, plus I would have to assume that you already checked your fluid levels? Now what you should o is with the plow on the truck. get a meter and check to see if you have twelve volts at the solenoid coil for the angeling the plow. My personal opinion is that you probably have some salt or some other substance inside your where your solenoids are, that have began to corrode your wires and contacts, I would start by checking that and cleaning the terminals reconnecting and seeing if it works.

7. slapshotmike24

slapshotmike24 Member

I dont know if curtis plows are the same, but on my Meyers, it is usually something making one of the valves stick open. I thought it was electrical too, but it ended up being a stuck valve.

8. Tony Bonventre

Tony Bonventre Sponsor

Every Plow has a draw back

And Curtis is the electrical solenoid coils. They get corrosion on them and start to act up, such as the problem that our friend has right now.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The fact that it makes noise sounds like a stuck valve.. my Myers does that now and then. I just push it up against some thing as I work it hack and forth and it stats working. I should just take it apart and clean it and change the fluid. Just an idea..

10. Tony Bonventre

Tony Bonventre Sponsor

Sounds like a good Idea

I would try and get that fixed. Having to push into something to get your plow to angle is a pain in the A$$. I think we have all been there and done that. I should not talk about fixing things, right now I have a wiper out (passenger side) does not work, and my plow takes about a week to go into Vee I know whats wrong but I am running around like a crazy person trying to get other things done right now. I guess if it were the drivers side I would have fixed it by now.

11. lawnsrusinc.

I cant check your ideas right now as iam out of town but i faxed your ideas to the guys at the shop. Thanks to you all as your ideas are always helpful. I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving. Is thier anything that i could use to stop contacts to stop corroding year after year?

Thanks, Jason

12. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I have had problems with my couplings collapsing inside. It could be that or a bad hose. Connect the hoses together and make sure you can move the plow side to side by hand.

13. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I did have a valve stick on me one winter come to think of it, thing would sound like it wanted to go but did nothing.

14. lawnsrusinc.

Thanks

SteveR
    The couplings in the ram? And what would cause this?

Liny Rob
    What did you do to free the valves, replace them oil it up ...etc.?

Jason

15. Tony Bonventre

Tony Bonventre Sponsor

Jason

I am curious, did you check the solinoid coils? And if you did what did you find.