1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unwanted Jobs

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Dogplow Dodge, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I always get inquires about jobs I don't want..

Anyone but me get calls from "condo associations" that are small with no place to put the snow ? There's absolutely nowhere to put any piles in this microcosm of a property.

Seems as though it's the only leads I'm getting lately.....crappy properties with little or no place to put the snow... in towns that fine the wazoo out of anyone who pushes one snowflake out onto the street.

Out of the blue I get a call from this board member who "paid out the nose for little or no service last year" and was "looking for someone who would do a per occurrence contract", as they're not even considering a seasonal one because they paid for nothing to be done this past season.. I told them I would look at it, but made no promises. I googled the address, and I know the place. There's no property, the driveway / road surfaces are all concrete pavers, and so are the walkways.

Typical I guess, for me anyway's

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Had a few of those calls through the years.

3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

The only way to do alot of those types of places is with a bobcat, which they often cannot afford due to only 12 or so units existing at these types of sites. We have a few and the only way they make sense is with a few of them near each other. Are there any others nearby that you could make a deal with and risk signing separate contracts with the different properties but put a clause in that if you lose property A - property B - pays more money?

4. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

You got called because the previous guy bailed out because the guy before him bailed out because the guy before him bailed out. Every time we get a bad snow, I get phone calls from people who want me to plow the most screwed up properties. Why do I get these calls...because the previous guy bailed out because the guy before him bailed out because the guy before him bailed out.
    Hope this answers your question.

5. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

YUP !

Haven't been there yet, but I think this is the property.... if google maps is right..

[​IMG]

I think I'll just sub contract this guy and keep them under a bubble of hot weather...

[​IMG]

6. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Wow,

Only a hour or two to edit your post, huh ?

Anyway,

That's the job, and way out of my league.

The driveway looks flat in the pix, but it's near 25* pitch from the entrance to the rear of the property. If you dropped your skateboard, it would be in the river in about 15 seconds....All red brick interlocked pavement. No macadam anywhere

Not one single flat open area for snow placement... NONE

A gentleman approached me while I was there, and I asked if they used a rubber blade plow in the clearing process, and he said " yeah, and about 50 Mexicans"....

Well, I said "Hasta luego" and went on my way.:cool: