1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unusual Uni-Mount Problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by procut, Feb 11, 2010.

1. procut

procut Senior Member

Older unimoint plow, always been pretty much trouble free though. During yesterdays storm my driver said that it was working progressively slower and slower, until finally it would no longer angle or raise. He got out and un-pluged one of the connections at the grill (I don't know which one) a few times, and then the plow would begin to work again, although slow. He would get back out and un-plug it a few times, and it would kind of start to work, not good, but just enough where he could use it. Eventually it wouldn't do anything, so he drove it back to the shop and parked it. He said the headlights worked fine throughout the whole time.

When I got back later that night, I started the truck, pushed up on the joystick and the plow raised right up. I pulled it inside and angled it a few times and it worked just fine, exact same speed it always had. It had apparently "Fixed itself" This morning I took it out and did touch up / clean ups with it on a few lots and plowed two driveways with it and worked great. It was just a little low on fluid, so I topped it off, but this was after I was done using it. The connections look fine, no corrosion or anything that I could see.

I hate it when stuff like this happens, because even though it seems to be working fine now, I've lost faith in it, because you just know it's going to act up again come next snowfall. (Murphy's law)

I've never really had a plow do this, usually they break and stay broken. So I guess my question is any ideas what could of caused this and what could be done to remedy it?

2. westernbud

westernbud Junior Member
    from ct

Nine out of ten times its water in the fluid. Take motor off and clean resavoir and filter and put new low temp fluid.

3. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

I agree. It sounds like the fluid got cold and then when you brought it in the shop it warmed up and started working right again.

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

You might want to check the truck harness to see if there a problem. Have someone in the truck moving the controller from left to right. At the same time, wiggle the harness around. If the problems comes back, then try this.

First, check the pins on the plow side harness (metal tips) to make sure they are not loose.

Use a pair of channel lock and squeeze (lightly) on the truck side plug(female). This will close the holes a little to make a tighter connection. Don't forget to put some electrical grease in the holes as well..

Also if you haven't done a complete fluid change (draining the oil from the pump, removing the fluid from both angle rams, cleaning the filter and casing), It might be worth doing it now.

5. procut

procut Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Water in fluid, froze up!

7. procut

procut Senior Member

ok, here is what has me confused, though. It sat in an un-heated garage all night. The guy started it up, and went out and started plowing, The plow worked flawlessly for a little over an hour. After an hour or so, it started acting up, he finally said to hell with it, and drove it back to the shop, and parked it outside, where it sat all day. The temperature was in the mid 20s all day. When I got back around 6:00pm I started it up, the plow raised and angled no problem. I pulled it inside the shop (the heat was off) I started it up the next morning, and that is when I went out plowing / doing touch ups with it and it worked fine.

8. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Bad electrical connection, weak motor or weak pump then.

9. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

That what I said....Could be the grill connector........

Another thought. Check the wires at the motor relay...Make sure they are clean and tight.... Orr, the controller could be acting up......

Ahh time for a beer, and I don't drink :drinkup:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010