1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unusual Fluid Leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JayMac, Aug 21, 2008.

1. JayMac

JayMac Member

I have an '89 k1500 that drips transmission fluid from the front U-joint. The rear tranny seal has been replaced recently, and no signs of it leaking. What could be going on?

Thanks.

2. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

which driveshaft? I am assumming the front joint on the rear shaft. when do you notice this, after it has been sitting awhile, or right after driving it?

3. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

It might be leaking from the plug in the yoke that slips into the transmission or transfer case. When they machine the yoke, they need it open to spline it deep enough. This requires the machinist to plug the hole at the u-joint end. Sometimes, they start to leak over time.

I found http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t605777.html through a google search. It has some good pictures to explain what I mean.

4. JayMac

JayMac Member

This is the rear shaft, front yoke. I can park it at night and by morning see a quarter size spot on the drive, but let it sit the whole weekend and the spot could be about golf ball size.

Someone else mentioned this and they suggested that I spray it down with brake clean and watch it over time. It doesn't appear to be the case, but I will try the suggested fix, can't hurt. Thanks

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  5. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

sounds like it is coming out somwhere and collecting on the driveshaft, and what isn't getting slung off while driving, overnight will work its way to the bottom of the yolk and drip to the ground. get some brake cleaner, clean up wherever there is fresh fluid and then drive it for a little while and check for fresh leaks. :nod: