1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Untagged trucks plowing lots

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mdirrigation, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

We drop 1 truck off at a jobsite , no tags and no insurance on the truck itself , its strictly a plow truck never runs the roads. Another contractor insists that is ilegal , it must me tagged and insured since you are driving on a lot. I told him the business is insured to plow snow , I dont tag or insure the backhoe , or the snowblower either they are just equipment to do the job , the truck is no different than the backhoe , on private property .

Just wondering if others do the same ?
  2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Matt
    I don't but I know the guy who does the Kmart by me does the same thing, drops the truck off in the fall and takes it back to the shop in the spring. He doesn't run plates on it either.

Regards Mike
  3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

So how do you fuel up the truck, also if you hit say another car or anything else, you would have to claim it on your auto insurance wouldn't't you ? To each his own.
  4. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

if it's a diesel truck just pump off-road into it from the tank in the back of another truck. As for the hitting something it is the same as a backhoe or a skid loader. The overall company insurance covers it. My grandfather hit our Jeep with a backhoe when he was plowing his driveway, his homeowners insurance covered the costs. Just because it is a truck doesn't mean that the only insurance that can cover it is auto insurance, we all just think that because it is the most common insurance used to cover vehicles that travel on public roads.
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

That part would be something to talk to the insurance guy about.

Last year I backed into a truck with my skidsteer. It was covered under the liability insurance of the business.

Depending on who you have as far as insurance for the business and auto, they might fight as who has to pay.

I'd still talk to the insurance guy though.
  6. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

We do the same thing, havent had any problems with our insurance. However I had someone back into a truck that was parked in a lot and the police wouldnt take a report because it wasnt registered. It wasnt a big deal they backed a suburban into a tandem axle salt truck....guess who won. It made me think though, if it was the other way around and a semi hit one of my pickups it could do some damage and according to what the officer told me they wouldnt be able to do anything about it, I'd have to claim it under my insurance.

7. Dash

Dash Junior Member

I would say paying insurance on it for the few months of the plowing season would cover your rear end in case you hit someone or someone hit you. There could be some severe legal issues if someone is seriously injured by the plow truck and you don't have Car insurance on it. Liability for the most part will cover damage to the vehicles but if someones medical bills get high you could be in trouble. I know our policy until recently was 400k aggregate and only 80k per incedent.
  8. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Not sure about Md, but it's illegal here. You are using it in a parking lot not a jobsite. A site truck is totally different, there is not commercial traffic on a jobsite. Better check with your insurance company. A tractor or skidsteer are different because they are not motor vehicles. They only need plates for use on-road.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

This was my point about contacting the insurance guy. Would a truck that you leave at a site basically not be a skidsteer / tractor? It's just a different shape / size. That's what I'd argue anyways.

I know an M9000 Kubota is just as big as my pickup, or even a large front end loader would do MUCH more damage to anything that you run into with it.

I don't see why it couldn't just be like a skidsteer / tractor, as long as you don't drive it down the road.
  10. roofsinc

roofsinc Junior Member

Here in Mi., as long as it's not on the road, dont need ins. or plates. Its a private vehicle on privately owned property. If you have decent bus. liability, it should cover any accidents. We carry 2 mil. If I run into somebody at one of our roofing jobs with my truck, my bus ins. covers any damage, not auto ins. (Except on my truck). Any place that you are CONTRACTED to do work is a job site. Any equipment you use to perform that work at that jobsite will fall under bus. liability. To cover your butt, I would make sure that your truck is listed with your bus. ins. co. as equipment, and not a registered passenger vehicle.
  11. bwilder10h

bwilder10h Junior Member

How much are you really saving by risking potentially having to eat the cost of repair if a problem did occur?
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

1. The lot is the job site.
    2. a truck is a piece of equipment.
    3.The lot is private property, no registration is necessary.
    (just insurance for plowing.)
    (you can haul fuel to it).
    4. A skid steer is a motor vehicle,
    Any thing made to convey people or property, is by definition, a vehicle, no matter if it's the kids power wheels or a D7 bulldozer.
    I see no problem with a dedicated lot truck or equipment. whats the diff if it's a truck or a pay-loader? realy...
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  13. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Illegal in Illinois. All vehicles must be registered. My neighbor got fined for not having plates on a vehicle that he never drives, parked in his driveway. My contractors policy wouldn't cover a unliscensed vehicle used in the manner posted. Laws vary state by state but I think most states require registration of all motor vehicles that are able to be registered.
  14. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

Im in Michigan too, I agree with this.

Who did he get fined by? I know here there are are towns and subdivisions that allow only registered vehicles on property. They have it in my subdivision too. But it is mainly because they dont want junkers sitting around for years on blocks with grass growing up through them, etc. If it is a vehicle you use on the property, at least here they dont seem to care. For this winter I picked up a $30 winter ride and put a few bucks into it, and just use the 6000 for plowing the driveway. They dont mind because it runs fine and I use it. Maybe your buddy got fined because there were ordinances against it and it just sat and never got driven.
  15. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Illinois State Police gave him the fine. I was told they happen to see it parked in his drive with no tags. I'm sure its the law in Illinois.
  16. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Matt the guy that plows the walmart here has 3 old ford/chevy pick ups with no tags on them.
  17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

dlcs is correct. In Illinois it is a law that all vehicles must be registered and insured. If it is on private property makes no difference and if it is a company truck it must have a safety sticker as well.

We also have the dreaded city stickers here in most towns and they can ticket you on private property if your car/truck is without one. I think the city stickers are just another rape us tax and the registration law hurts the farmers as most have a couple pick-ups that they use for around their properties only but must plate and insure them.
  18. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Snofarmer has nailed it, as long as the laws in your state agree- that's the way it is in MA- lots are private property and registration is not necessary on private property only on the roads. That's very common here in the larger lots.

As to the fine for the unregistered truck in a drive in IL- many localities have ordenances here against unregistered vehicles being stored on private property without a repair shop being on premasis or a dealer license. Some limit it to 1 vehicle, others to 0 vehicles- it's possible the state of IL has that as a law, in which case driveway or parking lot an unregistered vehicle is an unregistered vehicle.

Bottom line is look at your states laws- never mind the insurance agent too many of them will just sell you insurance and probabily don't know themselves. Plowing on private property would be covered under liability for an unregistered truck also- it's almost the definition of liability insurance.
  19. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Wrong! I'm not going to argue from state to state. I can tell you one thing that I am 100% absolute sure on in New York State. I didn't say it before because I am not exactly positive on the exact wording, but legally it is stated something like this;

Any vehicle which is either designed, manufactured, or intended to be used as a motor vehicle MUST be both registered and insured to be used either on-highway or private property. The ONLY way you can get away with it LEGALLY is if YOU yourself own BOTH the vehicle AND the property.

Any OFF ROAD vehicles are different. A skid steer, dozer, wheel loader, ATVs, etc. are NOT motor vehicles, therefore do not require tags or insurance. The only way you would need tags for any of these vehicles would be if they were to be used on a public road. In that case they would require Special commercial plates.

It's no wonder alot of these guys are so low on their prices. THEIR NOT PAYING INSURANCE OR TAG FEES!!
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  20. little pat

little pat Member

It would be nice to use vehicles like that. My worry would be with all the dirtbags looking for a free ride in life to make up something, hire a scumbag lawyer and file a B.S. lawsuit. Nothing but a headache and do you really want to have your finacial future decided by 12 people who don't want to be on jury duty