1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unsure usage with the Dakota

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Dakota2004, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Dakota2004

Dakota2004 Senior Member

Hello everyone well I have a Dakota V6 Quad Cab and I posted a thread about which one people recomended and I still want to stick with the BOSS, but anyway Im starting to reconcider my thoughts of the plow because I i really don't want to kill my truck, but if I do get the plow my truck will be babied beyond belief and I will be very careful when plowing and transporting the plow but anyway I want to know if anyone has plowed with this kind of truck before and if it is really going to be something I'd regret doing. Ive personally talked with some people with similar mid sized tucks that they use for plowing and they say if I just go easy I will be fine. If anyone has any info that can help me it's really appreciated. Thanks

Oh yeah if there's any pics of the rig I'd love to see them!
  2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

besides all of the other issues.........you can say you are going to go easy but it doesn't always work that way!! especially if your busy and have to work a 20-30 hour day. not trying to discourage you, good luck.

RODHALL Senior Member

I have not seen any Dakota’s that I can remember with a plow on the front.
    You will kill the front end on quickly, so you should look into beefing up the front end before putting a plow on. If you have the A500 or the newer derivative Don’t they are light duty transmissions you will fry the clutch packs yearly
  4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I've seen quite a few Dakotas with plows on them in my area. I saw one last year with a 7'6" western on it last year. A guy I work with has a 93 Dakota with a fisher plow. He has a 400 foot driveway that opens up to a parking area. Yes you can do it, (I did it with my Ram 1500 that alot of people told me it was a no no) Just take it easy and plow with the storm. Yes you will have wear and tear on your truck no matter what.
  5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I had a 99 Dakota V8 extended cab I plowed with for 2 years and it was fine get a set of timbrens for the front crank the torsion bars 2 turns and put about 600lbs in the bed. That was with a Meyer 2Meter with wings. I never encountered a storm it couldn't push and I'll be the first to admit I hammered the bejesus out of it and it took all I could dish out. Only reason I traded it for the Jeep is because of some tight areas I plow.

The transmission is fine keep it out of overdrive, plow in 4-Lo for deeper snow and get it serviced at the dealer (or trusted mechanic) after every winter.