1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unsure about salting/spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by pcs, Aug 20, 2001.

1. pcs

pcs Senior Member

Hi everyone. I know I'm going to have to salt this year to make any money. Plus to get any good commercial accounts they need salt. The problem I see is the visablity. I'm a short guy and I like to be able to look out the back window while plowing. Is there any spreaders out there that would not block my view out the back window?

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Any v box spreader will block your view. However there are some low profile tailgate units that when installed are below the tailgate.
    Dino

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

snoway and ice o way make a low profile v box. Actually I think they are made in the same factory.

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

It is a low profile v box, but not to the point where you can see over it. Plus even if it did only come up to the bottom of the rear window, you still have the line of site issue, which would hamper vision to the rear. the best bet is get used to your mirrors, and get extra rear lighting.
    Dino

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

You can see over my bradford V-box,but barley,and as soon as you heap it,you cant see anymore.If you run a V-box its just something you gotta live with,get good mirrors and keep them clean.

6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know how anybody can deal with the constant twisting and stretching trying to look out the back window. In addition, I feel it's actually LESS safe than using mirrors. If you're using mirrors you can see to both sides as well as what is behind you by turning your neck just a few degrees. If you're all cramped up trying to see out the back window it's impossible to watch your plow corners, a real bid item in close quarters operation. Oh yeah, what about dump bodies? Better stay away from them things, all I see out of the back window of mine is the front of the body.