1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unsticking a drain plug

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Carpenter98, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Carpenter98

Carpenter98 Member

I tried removing the drain plug to change the oil in my SEHP but the allen head stripped out. I tried heating it up with a torch and then backing it out with no luck. I want to try drilling it out but then I'll have to re-tap threads and put in a bigger plug. Before I go through this hassle do you guys have any other suggestions?
  2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Its pipe thread. I would try drill through it and the use an extractor. If that doesn't work I have kept drilling them to the tap size and then used the tap to cut the rest out and have nice thread.

I replace all of mine with square head brass plugs so make removal easier but I seldom take them out anymore.

Are you changing fluid? I do mine by removing motor and disconnecting lift pins. Then I dump out fluid, remove pump and clean the whole resevoir out. Remount to framw and then fill resevoir with fluid before replacing motor. Don't forget to get old fluid out of hoses.
  3. ChrisFromBoston

ChrisFromBoston Junior Member

I've found welding a bolt to the plug works quickest and easiest for me.
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

First, before I did any drilling, I would take a large easy-out and cut the tip of it off so you can take advantage of the recess for the Allen wrench.

At that point, if it doesn't come loose, then I would start drilling and trying again. I personally would stay clear of drilling anything if possible, just so you don't contaminate your pump with metal shavings.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

when you get it out and work done before reinstall put some copper anti seze on the threads so it will not freeze to the plug/aluminum body again.
  6. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Get some SeaFoam deep creep. Weld a bolt on and spray it as soon as you get the weld done. It should come out pretty good that way.
  7. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Funny you post this as I am having the same problem on my atv front diff its a small allen key and wont come off. in the past I have welding a nut on and got them off that way the heat from the weld helps break it loose, I am going to do that to mine this weekend probably. Also I plan on replacing it with a hex head drain plug I would recommend you do the same
  8. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Haven't used my drain plug, just take the cap off and remove the bolt from the lift ram, then swing the pump down.
  9. Carpenter98

Carpenter98 Member

Thanks for the replies. I have not had the time (or the snow) to think about it. Maybe what I will do to save time and hassle is just drill & tap another hole and thread in a hex bolt for the new drain. My only worry about drilling is getting metal shavings in the tank but if I drill it and the oil runs out right away it should flush our any shavings.
  10. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

As stated above the best and easiest way to fully change fluid is to remove motor (2 bolts) and dump it. Then while its out pull the pump (2 more bolts) and then you can drill and tap anything you want.