1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unsafe equipment rental trailer

Discussion in 'Snow Management Safety & Training' started by Yardvarkman, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Yardvarkman

Yardvarkman Member
    from NE Ohio

I recently rented a New Holland LS180 from a local equipment rental place and I noticed the trailer had a flat 4 plug. At first I thought it had surge brakes, but after looking at it for 2 seconds I was able to tell it didn't. They had cut the 7 pin plug off and wired it for lights only. I confronted the owner of the rental yard and he tried telling me that it had hydraulic brakes. We walked out to the trailer and inspected it and he agreed that it had electric brakes that were not in working order. He then told me that the skid steer wasn't that heavy :eek: and my 1 ton Dodge Ram 3500 dieselwesport would have NO problem handling the load. I had no doubt that it would handle it but I told him that if anything happened he would be liable.
    If my calculations are correct the LS180 weighs 7000 lbs alone plus the bucket, trailer and fuel that's close to 10,000 lbs. Then there is the truck that weighs close to 9,000, that brings my total weight to almost 20,000 lbs with only stock truck brakes.
    My question is, other than the obvious risk of not being able to stop the load In a emergency. What other risks was i taking?

2. nnusskern

nnusskern Member

Your liability cause if something would of happened you would have probably been named in law suit. I am assuming the break away switch was not working so that just as bad if not worse than no brakes.

3. Yardvarkman

Yardvarkman Member
    from NE Ohio

Other than safety chains and lights there was nothing. I was pretty nervous considering I had to go about 30 min down the highway and then on some hilly back roads. I had to have the loader that day and it was a Saturday at 11 so I couldn't go to another place.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Your the driver and it's your choice to pull the trailer of not. The excuse of I had to have the loader and couldn't leave it doesn't matter. You took the trailer knowing it wasn't safe so IMO your the one on the hook if anything bad happened. You more then likely signed your life away on the rental contract. Around here rental companies only deliver or will let you haul the equipment if they know you have a proper trailer after inspection.

5. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

[​IMG]

6. Yardvarkman

Yardvarkman Member
    from NE Ohio

I guess I agree. It was my decision to haul it even though I knew it wasn't right. When I brought the skid back I looked at their other 5 trailers and not one of them was right. I hate to be the guy who (tattles) and I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to get back at them but do you think I should report their disregard for the safety of the public. I might have been in the wrong for hauling the trailer knowing that it was unsafe but I knew there was a issue so i drove with extra care. The owner told me that he had no intentions of repairing his trailers and they send them out 6 days a week with similar loads to unsuspecting people.
    They told me they have to be the ones who load the trailer and strap the equipment down because they are responsible for anything that leaves their yard. Once I unload, any reloading and securing is my responsibility

7. theholycow

It's not about tattling or not, it's about a real safety issue. At least you knew what you were looking at and, I assume, attempted to compensate by driving differently than you would with a safer rig. Plenty of people probably just hook up and go without even knowing how to tow a trailer that's working properly, let alone knowing that it's messed up.

To whom do you report such a thing, though?

8. Yardvarkman

Yardvarkman Member
    from NE Ohio

I guess start with the DOT then maybe the hi way patrol. But I really don't want him to get into serious trouble. I just want to see the brakes fixed. I even tried to give him a price on fixing them, but he told me they have been like that for years and I was the first to notice.

9. theholycow

Yikes, sounds like you'll make an enemy by reporting it...

10. Yardvarkman

Yardvarkman Member
    from NE Ohio

Or possibly OSHA

11. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

A call to your state police motor carrier enforcement officer will handle that problem. This guy is lucky nothing has happened as of yet and the dot fines, while substantial, are nothing compared to a lawsuit for hurting someone (or worse) in an accident.

12. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

This is definitely a major safety concern and you are probably one of the few that know what they were looking at, as other mentioned most home owners or weekend landscaper would have just hooked up and left without even a questions.

Really there is no reason for the trailers to be like this, is the cost of a break job realyl worth the risk?

I agree the wording in their contract probably puts all the liability on you and the next guy. This needs to be taken care of asap.

13. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

The place by me wont even let you pick up without a brake controller. Thats for an empty trailer! Sounds like a fly by night bum

14. Yardvarkman

Yardvarkman Member
    from NE Ohio

One other thing they did that was in my opinion almost worse than no brakes was they loaded the skid steer on forwards. Normally it wouldn't matter forwards or back but it was a shorter tilt trailer and the bucket was all the way against the front stop. When they stepped on the back of the trailer to chain it down the tonge popped up against my pintle clasp. There was absolutely 0 tongue weight on a 10,000 lb load, there should have been at least 1,000 lbs. They knew I was going to travel on the hi way. They literally almost guaranteed that I would get into a accident. There would have been no stopping the trailer once it started swaying.

15. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Yea that os way worse then no brakes. I would call your local MTO or vehicle safety authority because they are going to cause an accident.

I almost lost it getting off the highway one day when I borrowed my buddies dump trailer. 6 yards of mulch and I didn't even look at how they had filled the trailer until it was almost to late. Had to shovel a few yards to the front while on the side of the highway...

16. theholycow

The reason probably isn't the cost of a brake job, it's probably because most homeowners or weekend landscapers aren't equipped to interface with a real trailer plug that will connect the brakes, only a 4-pin basic lighting plug.

Damn, that's really awful.

17. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

18. Yardvarkman

Yardvarkman Member
    from NE Ohio

19. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

sunbelt on brookpark?

20. Yardvarkman