1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unreal weather in the NorthEast

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ksland, Dec 9, 2005.

1. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

They predicted 1-3" yesterday for today. This morning it snowed for a while, picked up 2" and changed to rain.

By 1pm it was sunny and almost clear.... most of the snow melted and 43 degrees.

Now at 4:30, the back part of the storm came through, temps dropped to 29 degrees, heavy snow, 80 mph wind gusts, Icy roads, Blizzard conditions and dumped another 4" on us.

In all my years plowing, I have never seen such a drastic change within a few hour period.

Just about ready to head out, round 2.... Boy the billing is going to be strange on this one. 2 plows and 2 sand/saltings for all the commercials in the same day, with bare ground in between.:dizzy:

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Got to agree with you there. We had almost the same senario in Randolph but less of a mix, a little sleet started to mix in around 12:55 and then by 2 the winds shifted drastically to the northeast and temp plummited from about 36 to 27. This was all in 20 mins or so. Near whiteout conditions for a while for an additional 3-4" on top of the 4" we got this morning. I would guess about 8" total which iam very happy about considering how marginal conditions were between a rain and snow event for me. Happy to say it was mostly snow. The sleet did not do us any good as some of the roads iced up quite bad and people were having trouble getting up the hill on Route 28 heading off exit 5A into Randolph (if your familiar with the area). A truck was stuck on the hill, people passing him on the wrong side of the road. The mixing also made the latter half of the storm very hard to push and you had to get on it FAST before it froze up which was almost impossible considering how fast temps dropped. I had hit all my drives once by noon time, some twice. Then during the mix I spent an an hour and a half helping out at a condo complex then headed back to do my drives at 2 PM and now just finished getting them all cleaned up nicely the way I like them. Grabbing something to eat now then heading back out to sub for a while doing clean up and then whenever we are done Ill go back and make sure all my drives are in good condition, be back by 11 I should think. Overall a good day.

3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

We had heavy snow all morning before it tapered off around noon, picked up 9 1/2" here in Northern, NJ. Luckily it never changed to rain!:salute:

4. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

5. JTW

JTW Senior Member

We got a dusting yesterday and nothing today... Not supposed to get anything this week either.

6. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

Strange, I agree.

All I can say is "Bring it On!"

7. Jto89

Jto89 Member

I woke up at 6:30 for school and it was snowing pretty heavy. Left for school at 7:15 and was still snowing heavily. Go into school sit down for my first class looking out the window and wishing that i was out there plowing insted of being stuck inside. Then almost immeditly after thinking that the prinicipal came over the loud speaker ab said that school hade benn called off. leave school go roght to my forst cantract and finish my route in a little under an hour. Go home relax then look out another 1" of snow has fallen in less than an hour. go out to plow my driveway so it wouldnt ice over. As soon as finished the temp dropped fprm 40 to about 30 in 20 mins. go back inside then i here a huge clap of thunder. look out and it is white out conditions. couldn't see the house across the street. what a tipical new england weather day.:nod: