1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unltra Mount Installers

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Buckeye Chuck, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

Anyone here real familiar with installing Westerns, specifically Ultra Mounts. I had an install done that some of the hardware on the A frame isn't quite right.
    Thanks

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

what exactly does "isn't quite right" mean??

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Have done 100's, what the problem?

4. Buckeye Chuck

Super

I have had some trouble my Ultra Mount engaging nicely. It wants to push the plow away when it gets real close to fully seating in the horns. I made a couple adjustments to the stand. It is close but not quite right. After examining the install closely I noticed a couple things that may not be related to the problem.

First off it looks like the dealer was sent two right (passenger) pivot pins and they used them. Leaving the drivers side pivot pin reversed. That drivers side pin is supposed to be in the lower hole but since it is the wrong one it will only go in the upper hole and on TOP of the thrust tube instead of under it.

The two pivot plates are set up for config. 1 or 2 and in the right holes, with the bevel up, which is fine but there is a stacking plate mounted on the A frame and that says it's to be used only with the other configuration 3.

Not sure if those pins are a serious problem and I'm not sure if that stacking plate should be on or what it's purpose even is.

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I will have to look at the install instructions to see what you are talking about, but on my ultra-mount, depending on the surface it will slid before it seats occasionally, but it is usually close enough that the hooks pull it in when I flip them up. I try and park the plow close to something that is pretty solid to prevent it from sliding when re-installing it.

After I look at the install manual I will get back to you on the other questions assuming someone-else does not answer....

6. Crash935

The plates should be turned the right way, cant belive the installer let it go like that.

The plow usually does get pushed a little and like frozen said , its usually close enough that the hooks will finish pulling it in.

IF this is on your 1500 GM, your plow should be configured at a 1 or 2 so there is no need for the stack stop to be on the plow.

7. Buckeye Chuck

I wouldn't mind if the hook pulled it which sometimes it does. It's when the hook wont pull it in that makes it a pia. Floor is all concrete nothing to really stop it from pushing away.

Okay, the stack stop doesn't bother anything then right? I still can't figure out how it exactly works. I guess it just keeps the plow from going to high.
    In your opinion should I get the correct pin? Think it matters?
    If so should I might have the dealer do it because it doesn't look like that pin will come out without some dismantaling.

8. Crash935

If you think the plows coming all the way up then leave the stack stop.

I would take it back if they just installed it wrong, it is a PITA to try a flip the plates alone and if they have the wrong one on there it wont do you any good to try it. The plates being wrong could also be a part of not getting the blade hooked up because the pivot bar woulod probably be sitting a little off level.

9. roofsinc

roofsinc Junior Member

Crash...I need ya' Come back to Meyer for a sec...

10. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

the plates are the same, there is no left and right, maybe they have them set up wrong? is the beveled side up and the flat side down? thats what it should be for a A or B set up, I know because I just had to switch the plates for my truck to go to the C set up.

I cant see the pivot pins working if they are reversed, wont the hooks be on the wrong side to engage on the truck??

11. Buckeye Chuck

The plates are okay, bevel up. I think you may be be confused on the pivot pin. They don't go with the hooks.

12. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I read pivot pin and I think of the stands that swing out the way, a picture would help

13. timberjack

timberjack Member

I just spent the weekend assembling my plow. He is referring to the two pins with the steel plate weldment that is shaped like, say, a 160 degree U. They are unpainted, and i think are probably galvanized steel. The pin part plugs into the "pivot bar". It also has a long elongated slot where the carriage bolt will fit in the bottom far rear bolt hole of the pivot plate.

I'm afraid i couldn't tell you if having the wrong pin will give you trouble, but.....

From the installation manual
    "For all configurations, pivot pins must be positioned with the notch in the pivot pin facing up and the slot in the pivot pin aligned with the bottom hole at the rear of the pivot plates. Note that the pivot pin is never installed in either of the upper two holes in the pivot plates. A stacking stop is mounted to the top of the a-frame for configurations 3 and 4 only."

I would call the dealer and ask him to mail/ups/fedex you the correct pin, you can return the wrong one in the same box. The only concern i have, is what happens at the end of the winter when (god forbid) something breaks and you try a warranty claim. Will whoever handles the claim at Western care that the dealer installed the wrong pin, or put the blame on you for not fixing a problem that may have been prevanted. I suppose "mum's the word" and hope for the best. I imagine Western has engineered those pins in that shape for some reason. You shouldn't have to settle for a substandard install, just because your dealer isn't that close to you. Try the mail route, if they won't go for it, ask them why. I would bet the fellow that sold you the plow doesn't even know the wrong pin was in the box inventory, unless he assembled it too.

If you aren't that mechanically inclined, take the drive to your dealer. You would have to take the bolts out from the pivot plates to the lower lift frame, probably have to take the stands off too, but maybe just one side. It's not that hard, i assembled mine myself, but could have used a helper once or twice.

Hope it turns out alright, you might even have a better time mounting the plow after it's fixed.
    Ken

14. timberjack

timberjack Member

Chuck, one more thing,

I would bet that the wrong pin is exactly why your plow is so hard to hook up at times. With that pin in the wrong place, it sounds like the pivot bar is being forced to sit at an angle. Since you are storing it on concrete, use your tape measure and see how the two sides are measuring up, not those horns, but the rectangular tubing with the bolt through the middle. Ideally, at rest they should be equal on each side, especially on a concrete floor.

Try blocking up the a-frame so that the stands are not touching the floor. Does the lift frame "rotate" those few degrees of rotation with the pivot bar pretty freely? It should, as that is the advantage to the design, but it sounds like it may be forced up on one side, and probably won't pivot far enough. Hopefully there isn't any damage from forcing the wrong pin into place, and the proper one will correct it.

Ken

15. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Here is what the two configurations should look like. The pivot pins are different from right to left as they are angles as you can see in the pictures. Have one in wrong will definatly cause the pivot bar to sit incorrectly when the plow is mounted. I assume this is a new install and the dealer should fix this problem at no charge...

Unless you are have configuration 3 or 4 you would not need the staking stop, but if the plow raises up all the way with out this hitting the frame (which I doubt) then leave it alone...otherwise I would take it off so the plow goes up all the way...

hope these help...

western_pvt_pin.JPG

western_pvt_pin2.JPG

16. Buckeye Chuck

I have a pivot pin for the drivers side coming to me no charge from the distributor. When I get it, I'm stopping by the dealer and asking him to install it and correct it for me. Ya like to believe it's an honest mistake but I have my doubts. :cool: I'll let it pass as long as they take care of it.
    I'm going to see if that stacking stop interferes.
    Thanks boys.

17. Buckeye Chuck

I will check that out also, seems level, we'll see.
    Thanks