1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unlabled locking hubs? are they in or out?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PORTER 05, Jan 12, 2006.

1. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

i have a 00 ford f-350 automatic..manual shifting 4X4...my hubs are not labled, lock or unlock...theres no labels - just the hubs, so how do i know if they are unlocked or locked...cause when engaging the 4X4 the light goes on either way, do i need to go to a dealship to get them labled or wat? .. or do u just turn the hubs to the left to engage them??..this seems to work??/which way do you ford guys turn youre hubs to lock them>.to the left or right, maybe thats wat i should be asking casue mine has no labels wat to ever, i called the dealship on the phone and he told me hes never heard of unlabed hubs but i have them...thanks

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have never heard of unlabled hubs either. I have always seen a cast in mark in the hub. Check your owner manual...
    The light is connected to the transfer case so it will light when the tcase in in 4wd- no reflection on the hubs.

Worst case jack one front wheel up with the truck OFF and the tcase in 4wd. Try spinning the wheel by hand. If the hub is locked and the tcase is in 4wd you will not be able to spin it- if it spins at least one hub is unlocked. The tcase will keep the front d-shaft from moving so the front diff will let the wheel spin IF one hub is unlocked- if they are both locked no spinning.

OR

if you have open knuckles in the axle- where you can see the axle ujoint behind the wheel- with the tcase in 2WD and the truck off, and all 4 on the ground. Try turning the axle shaft by hand behind the wheel. If it spins that wheel is unlocked- if it doesn't spin that hub is locked- repeat on the other wheel. (the front diff will move and let the axle stub turn so only that hub will be stopping it if it's locked.)

3. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 Senior Member

hey justme

hey "justme" where in mass are you from....coulpe questions about yuore chevy dump..if u dont mind me asking how much was it when you bought it???....im going to be buying a truck very simular to that in the spring..are they nice..??can you get one in that same yr and modle in diesel oor are they harder to find....go0t any pics of it 2???...thanks

4. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

turned clockwise=locked turned counter clockwise=unlocked take a sharpie and make your own marks.

5. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Ditto. :cool:

6. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

just reach under the truck as someone stated earlier, and try and turn the axle joint (the u joint in the wheel) if the hubs are unlocked it will turn freely by hand, if locked youll know it.

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Porter, can't send you a PM. Email me at room18ATgmail.com

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I took a white paint pen and marked the pointer and the locked setting so I know at a glance they are locked. I would jack it up and make sure each side locks and mark the positions as above when locked. Someone may of changed the hubs and they don't engage in the same direction as stock.