1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unknown squeak

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Feb 2, 2010.

1. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hey guys, a buddy of mine has a 05 silverado 2500HD with the 6.0. When he turns the wheel to either side it squeaks. He just greased the whole front end and it still does it. It does it in four wheel drive and two wheel drive. Any thoughts?

2. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Last time one of my trucks had this problem I replaced the upper and lower ball joints with Moog's. It solved the problem, but it doesnt mean in right so just putting in my 2 cents.

3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

X2 on the ball joints. :nod:

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Alrighty guys. We are out plowing right now, and I can hear it squeak from across the lot. I'll let him know once we are done with this place. Anyone else have any idea?

5. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

If you can hear it sqweek from far away I would be checking the u joints possibly. Wish i was plowing right now!

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

I don't think its his u-joints. Because it does it in park if you turn the wheel. I'm thinking its his cvc. I looked yesterday afternoon, but didn't find any rips in either boots, on either side of the truck too.

We got a good 4 inches during the day yesterday. Him and I went out late last night and started to clean things up.

7. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

I just did a cvc in one of my trucks, they are fairly cheap. But the noise coming from there was a gringtin noise when turning though. Also there was no tears in either of my boots either.

8. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

whats a cvc constant velocity something? or am i totally wrong?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure it's a mechanical squeak and not a PS squeak? Of course we can't hear it so the question needs asking.

Positive he got all 11 grease fittings when he greased it? Guys miss the top one on both the Idler and Pitman arm all the time.

10. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I can't imagine it's the axles, usually they will grind. Jack up the front and check the ball joints and tie rods. Did you grease the ideler arm???

11. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

From what I've been told he got all 11 of them. I talked to him earlier and he said he is going to let the grease work itself in and then re-grease everything again. I am not 100% on weather is ps and not mechanical. But I will keep everyone updated.