1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unknown front diff

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bungy, Sep 15, 2000.

1. Bungy

Bungy Junior Member

How can I tell the difference between a GM 10 bolt front diff and a Dana 44? I have a 78 Chevy K-20. It has heavy duty everything. The rear diff is a GM 14 bolt with 10.5" ring gear. Also how difficult is it to change a np203 to part-time? Any input would be appreciated. Thanx, Bungy

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Look on the casting where the housing attaches to the axle tubes, next to the cover. I can't remember which side of the housing it's on but Dana will ahve the model number cast in there somewhere. I think it's on the upper right side, facing the cover, in the web that reinforces teh housing at that point. It's clearly visible at any rate.

3. mycave

mycave Junior Member

Chucks chevy trucks has a picture of a dana 44.

4. fran

fran Junior Member

I BOUGHT A CONVERSION KIT FROM JC WHITNEY, MADE BY MILE MARKER, IT COST $115 I THINK IT ALSO COMES WITH NEW LOCKOUTS, VERY EASY TO INSTALL, YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO REMOVE THE CASE JUST THE TAILHOUSING.

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ