1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Universal Plow Hydraulics kit?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Plowmedic23, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Plowmedic23

Plowmedic23 Junior Member

Anyone know if there is such thing as a universal Plow Hydraulics kit out there on the market? Thanks!

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

No. Different manufacturers all have different equipment. Different inside diameter on hoses, different outside diameter on hoses, different lengths of hoses etc....

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What are you looking for?

4. Plowmedic23

Working on a side project... Making a custom plow set up and just in the search for generic hydraulics...

5. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

depending on what kind of vehicle the plow is going on or whether or not the frame will be removable i would think either an old cable operated western pump or the old schooler fisher belt driven pump that went on the trucks engine would be the most universal.

i have 2 cable pumps for sale and, a belt driven setup i'm undecided on selling if you think it may work. i never go near the city or the island but, i'm only an hour above the city if you ever come up this way

6. Plowmedic23

Thanks! Although I'm not sure if that will fit this project... I found a video on you tube with pretty much exactly what i'm trying to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK5BnXLruO4

7. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

the belt driven pump wouldn't work would be my guess. the cable pump would work if the plow sticks out far enough but, you would need a strong frame to mount it to. the cables are 9' long so they would probably reach

trying to upload a pic but i keep getting "upload failed"

8. NE-Parts

NE-Parts Junior Member

We install a pump similar to the older under hood monarch pumps, and simply put a lift cylinder where the pump would be on the plow frame. Its a real simple thing to get set up, and has been affordable for situations where a standard electric hydraulic pump wouldn't fit or wasn't practical. In addition, now joystick and touchpad controllers work with the pumps, so it adds a modern touch.

9. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

idk if this will help give you an idea or not. this is a custom setup as well and sticks out from the grill at least 2" farther than it would were it the right frame. if you're close enough to take a ride up some day you'd be welcome to look at the set up and see if you might be able to fab one to work.

IMG_5514a.JPG

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  10. NE-Parts

NE-Parts Junior Member

This is a picture of what we have used in the past. It at least could give you an idea of what is possible.

[​IMG]

11. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

it could just be my browser but, all i see is a little box, no pic

12. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

it's my browser, pic shows up on my phone, just not my pc :)

13. NE-Parts

NE-Parts Junior Member

Skynard - That is a great looking bumper and grille!! Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in there!!

14. NE-Parts

NE-Parts Junior Member

Learning curve on plowsite... I thing I got it figured out now. You may have to hit refresh. I'll take a snowball or 2 as punishment.

15. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

thank you kindly! the truck is only 2wd so we had no choice but a custom frame, went with a fisher bottom for a 67-72 chevy and used our correct 73-87 style diamond headgear with the western pump. the custom frame called for a custom bumper as well. eventually the top will be capped so that we have seat/step

do you have a website? i'd like to look into your stuff. never hurts to have options

16. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

well, if you insist lol

1385058_10205397405880174_6337919787666626462_n.jpg

17. NE-Parts

NE-Parts Junior Member

The site is NortheastPlowParts.com, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post that without being an advertiser on the site.

I have a 1997 Dodge 3500 2wd Mason Dump I picked up to do work around the house, and I got together enough plow frame parts to Frankenstein a plow on it.. I was also thinking of making a nice diamond plate bumper with a few hitch receivers welded to it so I can move the winch around in case I get myself stuck cleaning the lot or the driveway at home.

18. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

i used a trailer fender for our bumper. tractor supply has a very similar one to the one i bought. only difference was mine has an extra bend at the end to make it flat. the one at tsc only has 2 bends per side

19. NE-Parts

NE-Parts Junior Member

I see it now. I didn't at first, but now I do. That is ingenious!!! Again, nice work!!

20. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

just a little redneck ingenuity ussmileyflag