1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

universal magnetic mounts?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by tilawn, Dec 24, 2008.

1. tilawn

tilawn Member

Does anybody know if there is a universal magnetic mount for a mini-light bar. I ordered a permanent mount but changed my mind for that and my dealership wont do an exchange for me. Any help would be great THANK YOU

2. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

well what kind is it ??? strobe halogen led ... whelen federal signal code 3 able2 off brand ?? you can buy magnets

3. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

i just posted a couple videos of my lights . the first one is a code 3 420 light the has magnets and had a cigarette lighter but i switched it to direct wire and it works great.

4. tilawn

tilawn Member

sorry it is a peterson 740 mini light bar 2 lights quad flashers. About 24" long and 9" wide. Where could I buy magnets that would be strong enough to hold it to the top of the truck? I do plan on wiring it direct into the truck as well. But I dont want to drill holes in roof of truck.

5. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

I have an older code 3 light with the old 4" bulbs in it. What I done was went to a Tru Value and got some round magnets and bolted them to the bottom. I put 4 of them on and never had a problem. They are about 3" in diameter.

6. tilawn

tilawn Member

are those magnets kind of like speaker magnets? And do you think most hardware stores will carry something like that? Thanks for the help

7. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

The magnets are more like CB magnets. Most hardware stores should have them. I think they were 50# magnets.

P8120031.JPG

8. tilawn

tilawn Member

ok I will have to check on Friday thanks for the help

9. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

If the local stores don't have them, just go online and order 4 100 pound magnets and you should be fine as long as you don't go racing down the highway.

10. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

Never had a problem with mine, used to be a volunteer firefighter. Have done 80 with that brick on top.

11. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

It all depends on the weight and aerodynamics of the bar. Most manufacturers no longer recommend travelling at speeds above 45mph with magnetic mount bars, mostly for liability though.