1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unique plow problem; Help needed!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by toolin, Jan 16, 2004.

1. toolin

toolin Junior Member

Hi Everybody!

First off, great site. Has been a invaluable resource, learnt a lot of tips to make my job easier.
    One of our trucks is a '95 F350, with a Artic (popular in Canada) 8.5 ft plow, with a Monarch underhood pump. Its been a real workhorse for us, and has in large part served us beautifully. Yet, as of late, the plow, while warm, is raising really slowly. Odd thing is it angles left and right just fine. Again, this only happens when I have been using the plow continously for some time (like after a couple hours). We've had a local outfit take a look at the plow, and they say the motor appears just fine, and I would need to reproduce the problem for them to troubleshoot it more effectively. Pump fluid level is just fine.
    Anyone have any ideas what is happening here?

Thanks in advance:drinkup:
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Maybe an o ring swells when warm? Or a pressure bypass bleeds partial pressure when warm? It is a larger volume cylinder to fill ,maybe pump is going? Does it have filter screens and have they been cleared? Might be just low voltage from power drain of extended plowing too. Battery is weak no reserve left on it.
  3. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Easy check is to put an inline pressure guage on the lift hose. Check the pressure cold and then check it when you are having the problem.

Several causes. Low pressure due to the fluid heating up and becoming thinner causing the pump to become less efficient ( Most likely cause.)

Motor running slower as mentioned above.

You are probably running ATF in the monarch. If the pressure is below 2000# you will notice slower lift. The unit pressure can be raised up to improve lift but if the motor is running slow or the fluid becomes too thin the unit will pump less volume than when first starting out.