1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Union?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by grandview, Mar 7, 2010.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So what would you do if your employees came up and said they want to unionize?

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Why would they want to do that?

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

In the words of Donald Trump - "You're fired!"

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know. Just starting a topic.

I don't think you can.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Because the union reps will promise them bigger wages, more benefits, etc.

Reagan fired 11,000 Unionized Air Traffic Controllers in 1981.

6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree, everyone of them would be fired, and I would be looking for new help. I have to deal with Union stuff all the time for my contracting work, and it's the biggest pain in the rear. If I had to deal with it for plowing I would either find new employees, or I would sell everything and just sit on my butt for the winter.

7. snowdreaming

snowdreaming Member
    from Boston

If we had union employees for plowing and all getting paid $100 an hour and benefits than one day we will get a bailout and overseas plowing companies will be #1 until their plows fall to peices in a big recall and then we are #1 again

8. RobE

RobE Junior Member
    from RI

+1, but I would laugh in their face first.

9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Firing them is
    A. illegal
    B. a certain way to end up with a union.

I would have a calm discussion with them about the benefits of not being union. If they choose to the election to see if they are certified, I would continue to do all under my powers under the fair labor standards act to convince them that they should vote against the union.
    If they certified the union, I would of course, bargain in good faith with the union.
    If the union terms of employment were too onerous for my company to continue making a profit, I would shut down the company.

That's what all the tax and spend politicians, the "i want more money" employees/non-workers don't seem to get.
    I don't have to bust my tail and risk all my money to do this.

10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

They would ruin the reputation of hard working, going above and beyond the call of duty type of companies....if not the entire industry.

Can you imagine dealing with;

"slow down bro....you can't work that fast....you'll ruin it for the rest of us"

"you can't make me work more than x amount of hours"

"that's not my job man"

"where's my pension.....I deserve it"

"let's boycott and shut them down....we deserve more money because more time went by"

and all the other union crybaby crap they default to. :laughing:

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Can you imagine how many guys you would need on the books to handle a 36 hour storm?

12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Exactly......the union mentality just doesn't get it.

13. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I deal with the union on a daily basis....TCLA could have not said it better..The unions mentality is horray for me,Screw the company....Their are some Good Men and Women in the union...But , the union system is broken....In this day and age we need good hard working people...Not lazy asses that want a pay check for nothing.....So if one of my employees came to me about the union..I would politely decline the advances..Most likley that will be the end of it......

14. Matson Snow

You would need 7 guys to just drive one Truck....One to hold the steering wheel, One to shift the truck, One to push the gas peddle, One to push the brake,One to give directions, and a Union steward in case they need to file a grievance..Also a safety Monitor....

15. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

A 36 hour storm with my 5 trucks would require 19 employees, if they didn't take the usual 25 minute union break every 2 hours.

16. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Let's not forget;

"you want me to work on Sunday?...hahahahahahah!"

"you want me to work on Christmas!?!?....hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahah!!!!"

Accommodating a Mennonite is enough of a pain.....

17. Matson Snow

Also, lets not forget the 60 paid sick days and the 6 weeks paid vacation...Plus when the plants shut down for re- tooling ..We get 90% of our pay....

Mennonite...What are you building furniture over there too......:eek:

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Multiply that by two, because you would never get them to work more than 12 hours.

19. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I'd say "Great, you have every right too.....By the way I'm selling the shop."

20. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Firing them would not be illegal as in most states your employees are considered "employees at will", which means you can fire an employee for any reason you want besides discriminating against there race, religion, culture etc etc. So what I would do is Fire Them and find someone else. Simple fix.