1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Union problems

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mrbew, Nov 29, 2011.

1. mrbew

mrbew Junior Member

Been plowing the same properties for seven years. Now I'm told we have to be union.

Any suggestions?
  2. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

Don't you mean legalized extortion? Because that's what I call I am union by force not by choice.
  3. luky013

luky013 Junior Member

are you sure you do not have to just pay the prevailing wage? I dont think they can force you to be union. what type of property are we talking about?
  4. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Exactly I'm in the same boat
  5. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Assuming this is legal, I'd be telling the customer they need to find a new contractor.
  6. NickT

NickT Senior Member

What union would u have to join?
  7. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

I would imagine operators union is who is having a probleam. The only way any company can ask you to be union is if they have policy to use only union vendors and union themselves.....dont do it for just one gig you will pay out more than you make.
  8. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

........x2 on that! :drinkup:

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I ran into this before as well, I simply told them no problem as long as your willing to take a price increase of $35 per hour on every piece of equipment to cover my additional cost. Needless to say I didnt end up doing the account but the moral of the story is never tell a customer no. I feel you should always make them tell you it wont work.
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Self employed can't join unions.
  11. adamhumberview

adamhumberview Senior Member

i dont know much about the states unions, but around here for us, the company has to have more than 7 field employees to go union. depending on what markets you want to serve, unions are good or bad. we are not union, and they have no interest in us.
  12. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

this, local place around here had all the union guys doing it, well they had issues doing it because well there lazy union workers, so a friend got hired, they were pi$$ed, so next contract they added that whoever plows has to be union, so we lost out.
  13. grandview

Around here they don't want to plow just collect unemployment checks during the winter. That's the problem to ,they want,want but don't want to work.
  14. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

I am self employed and a Teamster have an owner operator card with no benefits or pension.
  15. grandview

I assume you have 2 jobs,teamster union card and another job working for yourself?
  16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Then what is the point? I'm a Teamster member too, but I get something from it.
  17. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

This story has a bad smell from post #1. Let's hear the full story mrbew. Since you have one post ever-

Let's hear what union is forcing you to join them to plow snow. We're in the snow belt here and no unions bother any of the snow contractors. Even the ones with loaders.

I'm in a union and not too lazy to work.
  18. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

and prevailing wage only applies to state/federally funded projects. and i know many non-union people who have benefitted from that.
  19. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

Nope one job I own my own trucking company and have to be union to go on a lot of the job sites.
  20. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

The right to work hence the comment earlier about legalized extortion. Pay to Play.