1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Union?????no Not Really!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 3PLLC, Oct 23, 2007.

1. 3PLLC

3PLLC Junior Member

I suppose i'll get right to the point. I'M SICK OF BID WARS. Here is the logic. I understand that we live in a competitive world and that the "early bird get's the worm", and all that other bullshi?. I have often thought about contacting every other snow removal service in my area and forming some type of "union" agreement. Don't let the term scare ya. LOL..Anyway if we all agreed to at least a minimun hourly amount/driveway amount/ sidewalk footage amount, and so on., WE WOULD NEVER HAVE TO FEEL LIKE WE NEED TO LOW BALL AGAIN!!!!!! SO, if little old Ruth calls to get her driveway plowed, no matter who she called, EVERYONE WOULD MAKE WHAT THEY WANTED. OH YAH,
    and the company that doesn't cooperate, well that's nothing a few bobcat loads of snow on their truck wouldn' t handle.:) Anyway, any thoughts?
  2. santelikk

santelikk Member

Unfortunately this practice would be called price fixing. And is illegal.
  3. 3PLLC

3PLLC Junior Member

good call....i'm doing some research now that you said that..I have found an article that talks about the supreme court remitting that law in June ,2007. That law was put in place in 1911...crazy check it out.... http://unity08.com/node/1492
  4. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

There was a something like that done with some concrete compamies in central Indiana, they were caught and had HUGE fines for price fixing.
    That and with driveways you're always gonna have joe-blow who has an old beater with a plow going door to door for driveways.
  5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I would LOVE it! But in my area there are way too many plowers to try this.
  6. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

bad idea, everyone has different overhead....thus the different prices. If everyone got the same price then there would be no incentive to become more efficient...... The free market works...... The strong (good work ethic, good service, etc )survive to plow another day.....

I love the competition........The trick is to get customers to understand that they will get what the pay for.......good service costs money......
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Even if it was legal. It would never work in this area. There are way too many plow trucks around in the winter. Not to mention the kids with snow blowers going door to door. The customers have way too many people that will do the driveway for the cost of two packs of smokes!