1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimout MVP troubles

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by DJC, Jan 19, 2014.

1. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Hi everyone,
    I have a uni MVP and have been having trouble with the drivers side wing. Once and a while it will only come in and not extend out to the scoop. The rest of the plow workes as should and you can even use both for a strait blade. Does anyone know what cartridge and location for the left side of the plow if using with the yellow light blinking ?? I'm thinking it's a electrical problem because if I leave it in my heated shop overnight it will work fine the next day for a while. The first time it happened I thought it froze because it was -2 but yesterday it was in the 20's. Any info please ??
    Thanks!

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

What is this blinking yellow light? Is this a regular old style MVP with the big black canon plug on the controller or a newer MVP plus with multiplex controls? Does it have a round plastic shroud covering the hydraulic unit?
    The only unit I know of that flashes is the MVP plus and that's a whole different animal. We need to know for sure to help u effectively.
    Wait... I see now it's a "uni MVP". Still I am wondering where the flashing light is? There r no diagnostic lights on that old controller.
    I would start troubleshooting by swapping out the controller. Do u have a friend with a similar unit from whom u can borrow a controller? I know those old MVP controllers cost about $400 or more so it's an expensive thing to buy on a chance.
    I don't have my books here and can't read the online diagrams on my phone but I can tell u that this unit has a separate wire for each of six valves / coils. The controller could b bad, one wire could b cut or corroded, one pin on the plug could be bad, the wiring harnesses could be damaged on truck or plow or it could be a coil or valve cartridge.
    The temp is probably an expansion contraction thing. Ice in the fluid would effect multiple functions. Temp can affect wires, plugs, coils and valves. We need to narrow things down. So again what is that flashing yellow light and can u get another controller?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  3. DJC

DJC Senior Member

It is not a Plus just MVP, the yellow blinking light is the the top left button on the controller. it can be off, solid yellow to move both wings at the same time or blinking to move each wing separately.
    It does not have a shroud around the unit.
    I don't know of anyone else in the area that will have a controller for this

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  4. mishnick

Ok I know that controller. It has a mode switch right?
    Is there a Western dealer nearby that would let u try a controller without buying it? At my shop I have one of every controller just for troubleshooting but many shops don't do that. They make u buy and don't accept returns on electronics.
    I can have a look at the books or online in the am when I get to my shop. I will tell u which valves r involved so u can see if the magnets r being activated. I can also hook u up with s link to the mechanics guide.

5. mishnick

Having thought on this a bit more I have come to a conclusion... You say the blade works fine in straight blade mode right? And in that mode both wings move ahead and back with no trouble. That means the hydraulics, the valves, coils and wiring are all eliminated. It has to be the controller.
    The circuit board will be the problem and u can replace that piece if u have the skill to do it. There is no soldering involved, just screws and plugs.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  6. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me with this problem.
    Yes, it has the "mode switch"
    I will call the nearest dealer today and ask but around here I'm sure I would have to buy it. I will ask though.
    The only thing I don't understand is if I unhook the plow in my heated shop and let it set for the night it is fine the next morning for a few hrs.

7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Some dealers will test your controller for you so you aren't just buying one thinking it was the problem. You may be able to test it yourself with a multimeter, if you can find the wiring diagram for the controller plug. My old mechanics manual for my old unimount had the procedure for testing the controller. That plug only had 6 wires, but I am guessing it would be a similar concept.

8. mishnick

9. DJC

DJC Senior Member