1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount won't turn

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by breezmister, Jan 22, 2012.

1. breezmister

breezmister Junior Member

Mounted on a 1999 F 450 and without a single problem 12 years.

The plow will raise and lower normally, will turn to the left but will not turn back to the right. When I try to turn it to the right,what it dose is blow fluid out the little hole in the filler plug. I was able to move the plow back to center by hand, and it leaked fluid then as well. Only leaks when I try to move it to the right.

Suggestion on where to start looking or what could be wrong will be greatly appreciated
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Is this the old Isarmatic or the flowstat? The isarmatic has the lift cylinder intigrated into the casting while the flowstat has a seperat, removable lift cylinder.

You said it is leakind out "the little hole in the filler plug." There should be no hole in the filler plug... The flowstat has a grey plastic filler / vent plug but it is not free flowing, it has a 5 lb pressure relief valve in it to prevent the reservoir from breathing. The isarmatic has a pipe plug and no air or oil can get in or out. That is why it is so important not to overfill them.

From what you say you probably have the flowstat. I am wondering and have to ask... if it has been running perfectly for 12 years has it had the fluid changed in the last few years? If not then now is the time to put it in a warm place overnight, to make sure any ice in the fluid is liquid, and then purge the fluid from the reservoir and rams. If there is ice in the system then all sorts of strange things will happen.

Aside from ice the only thing that has to work for a right turn is the S2 valve (and motor of course) so I would pull that valve, examine it, blow it out and verify that the magnet is being activated. To test it, just pull the valve cover, then get someone to hit the right angle button on the controller and hold a screw driver to the end of the cartraige. You should feel the magetizm attract the screw driver and release when the button is let go.

Keep in mind that if fluid is leaking from the vent cap is the reservoir level being too high. That suggests air getting into the fluid somehow taking up space that the fluid should be using.

How are you moving the blade to the right by hand? Do you just raise it and push it? Because if you can do that without opening valves that is another clue. Please elaborate....
  3. breezmister

It's an Isarmatic

mmmm, then I have no idea where it's leaking from.....

I take care of 7 plows, every fall, they all get a new filter, clean the magnet, new motor seal, "O" ring at base of pump, motor gasket and fresh Western fluid. The last thing I want to be doing is working on a plow in the middle of a storm Thumbs Up

Okay, I'll check the S 2 valve when I get back into the shop and see if I can track down where the fluid is coming from....I'll drag some one out of the office

Last push of the day, brought the plow up, no problem, then went to center it, and saw a stream of fluid shooting up from over the right side of the hood. I stopped and got out to look at the plow. Fluid every where. No broken hose or any thing I could see that was damaged. So I grabbed the plow and pulled it around until it was centered, there was no back pressure, it moved very easily which surprised me.

Now when I got back to the shop, I refilled it to the correct level, maybe 3/4 of a quart of fluid.....And it did the same thing, so it's sitting there until I get back into the shop.

4. mishnick

You need to get someone to run the plow while you watch for the source of the fluid spray. Sounds like you have a good maintainance regime so moisture in the fluid is not likely. Find that leak and check the valve then let us know what you find.
  5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Mishnick knows what he is talking about, and I haven't read in too much detail, but my first question is this.........has the plow been properly serviced in the last "problem free" 12 years? I don't mean to be an ass but it seems that everytime I hear something like that, the answer is no. It's obviously more of an issue than just needing service, but proper maintenance is does prevent issues down the road. Clogged filters, frozen pumps, stuck valves, etc.........
  6. mishnick

"every fall, they all get a new filter, clean the magnet, new motor seal, "O" ring at base of pump, motor gasket and fresh Western fluid."

That was one of my first questions but as you see they are well servivced.....
  7. breezmister

I have my share of horror stories from back in the 80s. Frozen pump and needing 4 or 5 guys to lift the plow and move the chain up. Changing out a hose that broke with the wind and snow falling and a foot of snow already on the ground. Not using after market fluid. I know how important PM is....
  8. breezmister

Just an update.
    After dragging Hollywood out of the office yesterday and explaining what I needed him to do, I found a leak on the hose to the left cylinder , up where the hose passes though the bracket on the plow frame. It was in one of those places where I could not see where it rub the bracket. Bleed the system and refilled and all is back to normal.

Thanks for your relies :mechanic: