1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount won't run

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by The Duke, Feb 10, 2008.

1. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

Ok, I'll try the story in a nutshell.

Bought a used unimount in November 07. It supposedly had a new pump the year before(it does look new). Guy dropped it off at my house and everything was working.
    When I did the wireing, I screwed something up and had to take it to a western dealer to get it straightened out. They popped a unimount plow on it and said everything was working fine. When I got it home and tried my plow on it, nothing happens. I don''t hear the pump run, it doesn't lift, or turn. Nothing.

Without going into extreme detail, I can't take it back to the dealer right away with the plow, because the mount is also screwed up and I am still getting it together the right way.

Now, with backround out of the way, my question is mainly a trouble shooting one.
    Lets say for now that the guys at the dealer made it work, so that means that any problem is on the plow side. How do I figure out what the problem is without paying the dealer $75 per hour to look at it?

Thanks!

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

check your connections (power and ground) first. Make sure they are clean and have good contact. Also, using jumper cables, see if the motor still runs.

3. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

How would I use the jumper cables to check the motor?
    Thanks.

4. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

side post on the motor is positive, ground is the metal tab where the 2 prong wire goes to at the base of the motor. Just hook the cables to your battery, and see if it runs. if it does, then its most likely bad connections or its on the truck side.......

5. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

OK, I "hotwired" the pump and it works. It sounds very weak, but I never heard it run before, so I could be wrong. I am going to clean up all the terminals tomorrow.

If it still doesn't work. what else could be wrong?

6. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

When you plug in both connectors... Do the lights switch over from truck to plow?

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Get your manual and a Multi tester. Check each wire path for continuity and proper current flow and correct connection. What have you done to the plow? If the plow worked when it was dropped off it must be something you've done.

A dealer would have the experience and equipment to chase the issue a lot faster though.

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Here is some more light on the situation if you are still having problems:

All you need is someone to run the in-cab controler and you to run a voltage meter

#A: Test Battery side of soliniod (should read 12v always)
    #B: Touch up on in-cab controller: (should now read 12v on other side of solinoid)
    #C: Touch up on in-cab controller whiler testing for 12v at the motor:(use somthing on the truck as your ground, as next we will test for ground on the plow)

If you have 12v out to the motor, check you ground by testing accross the motor: (One lead on positiveon motor, one lead on ground on motor, press up on in-cab controller)(should read 12v if power is there and ground is good)

I assume that you have a grounding problem somwhere, they can be a real b*tch. If the dealer said that they hooked it up to a plow and it worked fine, you should be left with the connections to the motor being bad. That should be all that it is.

Hope this helps,

Phil

9. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

look at the trouble shooting guide here then make a copy for yourself

Attached Files:

10. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

Yes, the lights all work fine.

Thanks for the replies. I will give those suggestions a shot.

I know a dealer could figure it out quicker, but at $75 per hour, it can also get pricey, so if I can figure it out myself, I would rather save the money.

Thanks.

11. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I agree with Philbilly, but am more looking towards your 2 pin connector. Check it and see if it may have a bent or broken pin......have someone help you and have them push the raise button on the controller and wiggle the connctors while doing it..... Just a shot

12. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

OK, when I put the wires directly on the motor studs, the pump runs, but it sounds verrrrrrry weak.

I am going to try cleaning those terminals up a little more and see what happens.

13. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Is you truck running while you test this stuff. If not that could be why it seems weak. Just though i would add that

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Motor sounds weak? Maybe it's got a bad motor, what kind of amp load is it pulling?